Sparrow subspecies in Woodland (Yolo) backyard

Brent Campos

This week a couple surprising sparrow subspecies that are atypical for the Central Valley joined the sparrow flock in our Woodland backyard. On Tuesday I had an adult PUGET SOUND (pugetensis) WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW with a striking yellow bill feeding on seed. This bird allowed for close comparison to the numerous gambelli feeding around it. A more expected White-throated Sparrow appeared the same day and is only the second record for our yard. Lastly, Thursday a SLATE-COLORED FOX SPARROW found company with the flock. So far I have been unable to classify the Slate-colored to a "subspecies." The wings and especially the tail are a rather bright rusty hue. Both the White-throated and Slate-colored Fox Sparrow continue through today, but the pugetensis was only observed in our yard for one day.

Brent Campos
Woodland