Re: 2 Am Golden-Plovers at Woodland WTP

Brent Campos

One American Golden-Plover continued with five Black-bellied Plovers today between 12:30 and 1:00 PM at the location described by Steve yesterday. Identifying characteristics that I observed well today included: tertial extension well short of the tail tip; long primary projection past the tail tip; four primaries visible past the tertials; mostly lacking golden hues on the breast and belly; strong white eye stripe over the eye.

Brent Campos

Woodland

---In central_valley_birds@..., <stevechampton@...> wrote:

All,

Today there were 2 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS at Woodland Wastewater Treatment Plant.  October at this location, on the levee south of the second pond, is about as reliable a spot for these as it gets-- and that's exactly where these two were.  Pics and full checklist at:

I also had 12 species of shorebirds, missed the Pec, but had a late Red-necked Phalarope.  2 Redheads remain in the first pond.

A scope is critical for these, and study the pics first.  WWTP is east on Gibson from Rd 102, park in "birder parking area" and sign in at near gate (combo is "700"); do not go to the office; access only M-F 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Closed on holidays and weekends.

good birding,

--
Steve Hampton
Davis, CA