Re: [CVBirds] Short-eared Owl dramatic fight to keep prey

Steve Hampton

Great pics! I might add that this seems to be a daily show-- late
afternoon before 5pm, with aerial combat regular, especially between the
Rough-legged Hawk and Short-eared Owls. The birds are concentrated on the
bunch grass on the left by the yellow 2-story house.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Sami <sami182@wavecable.com> wrote:

**

Monday early evening Joe Clemens and I went out to locate the Short-eared
Owls previously seen along CR 35 just north of Grasslands Park in Yolo
County south of Davis. We hung out for a while watching a couple of SEOW
along with a White-tail Kite pair and several Northern Harriers. The drama
unfolded when one of the owls capture a vole. Immediately a harrier was on
line to get it away. I was lucky enough to be using the camera and just
kept taking photos. Finally the owl exhausted the harrier and then started
to go higher in the sky. Suddenly an opportunistic Rough-legged Hawk
entered the photos but didn't last too long. The Short-eared Owl stayed in
the air and watched until it had no more trouble and then quickly settled
down; the next we saw it was ready to sit and digest its prey.
I put photos in the Owl album here and also on Google+
https://plus.google.com/111363376013348611024#111363376013348611024/posts
https://plus.google.com/111363376013348611024#111363376013348611024/posts

Sami LaRocca
Woodland, CA