Sacramento NWR, 11/12/12, Cattle Egrets

We made a quick stop at Sacramento NWR on our way home from our vacation in OR & WA (snow and cold!!). Other than the 1000's of geese and ducks (never have seen so many PINTAILS in one place!), we had over 34 CATTLE EGRETS, by and around the viewing platform. We have seen them off the refuge, but never on the refuge and never in that large of numbers.

Other highlights: EURASIAN WIGEON, one or more REDHEADS seen from the viewing platform ( BLUE-WINGED TEAL reported, but not seen by us.)

We were there 2 weeks ago before our trip, and noticed yesterday, that there is a lot more flooding of fields around and in the refuge. This is a great time to go there!

Good birding,
Denise & David Hamilton
Napa
napabirders@att.net