Yolo Northern Shrike

Brent Campos

Today, Nov 3, at the Fremont Weir State Wildlife Area I found a hatch-year Northern Shrike. Unlike the other NSHR found today in Placer County, this one is on public land and theoretically chasable. I say theoretically because it is a long walk (3+ kilometers) from either of the two public access points to the bird's location. Here is a map of the bird's location (http://goo.gl/maps/eg7O2). I watched the NSHR for about five minutes. It was perched on overhead wires and flew to the ground twice for prey. As I approached to get decent pictures, at some point I looked down to circumnavigate poison oak. When I looked back up the bird was gone and I was unable to refind it. I also had two flyover Pine Siskins at the Weir. One in Sutter County and one in Yolo County.

Brent Campos
Woodland