Re: [CVBirds] Winter Wren Yolo County September 23

John Sterling

We looked for it on Tuesday morning without success, but it is probably still in the area

John Sterling

26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695
530 908-3836
jsterling@wavecable.com

www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)

On Sep 24, 2012, at 10:18 PM, "teasterla" <teasterla@comcast.net> wrote:

All,

Yesterday Monday there was a Winter Wren at the intersection of Babel Slough and South River Roads. The bird was on the Northwest corner near the only structure/house there. While I was spushing here I noticed a small pale wren coming into the kaos of noise I was making. I thought at the moment that it might be a Winter Wren so I started snapping off some images just in case it was that species. I was not able to get good looks as it just disapeared while I was photographing it. Unfortunately, I could not see the images on the back of my camera as they were to dark and the glare from the sunlight was too much on my small camera monitor. The bird never called or I would have known instantly.

So after birding and finding the other good birds I kind of forgot to look at the images until late last night when I downladed them to my computer. I was amazed after brightening, cropping and sharpening the image up to see that it actually was the Eastern Winter Wren. There is much habitat in the area for this species on both sides of S. River Road so it could be anywhere.

I have uploaded an image of the bird to the "Wren folder" on of course the Central Valley website in the photo section.

Good Birding!

Todd Easterla
Rancho Cordova