SAC Red-naped Sapsucker - hybrid?

Matt Brady

Hello all. I had a chance to check out the Red-naped Sapsucker frequenting the exotic cedar-type tree in the southwest corner of East Lawn Cemetery in Sacramento yesterday. I think it is, as Gil Ewing suggested a while ago, a hybrid Red-naped X Red-breasted. My photos clearly show some red below the eye, as well as a mostly red malar stripe. Thus, I'd bet that it's not a first generation hybrid, but likely a hybrid backcross. My photos are embedded within my eBird checklist: <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S9563552>. Check them out, and see what you think.

Other birds of interest included a continuing Western Tanager and a fly-over Pine Siskin.

Good birding,

Matt Brady
Potter Valley, MEN