Davis Wetlands, Yolo Bypass, Lake Solano Park, 1/9

Today, Jan 9: Davis Wetlands- Thayer's Gulls out on the dikes with Herring & CA Gulls (How do you have the patience to go through all those gulls, Steve Hampton & others??) Ponds were FULL of Shovelers. Inside the wetlands, there were Greater White-fronted Geese & two Tundra Swans. The wastewater pond held a nice mix of ducks, including a male Redhead, at least 2 male Blue-winged Teal, and 8 Wood Ducks.

Yolo Bypass- not a lot! Best was the end of the route where we saw 2 American Bitterns chasing each other, and then one of them 'hiding' out in the open.

Lake Solano: Trees in the park and the campground are full of mistletoe berries, so there were Phainopepla all around guarding the mistletoe from waxwings, bluebirds & others. Other birds of note: House Wren, Red-breasted Sapsucker, Pileated Woodpecker, & Varied Thrush. Several Barrow's Goldeneyes (and Common), Hooded Mergansers, and others were in the creek.

Re: Falcated Duck: Today, while at the Davis Wetlands, a man in a City of Davis truck, stopped and asked if we have seen the duck. He read about it, and thought it was at the wetlands. Yesterday, 2 non-birding friends asked us if we have seen the duck. It really must be making the news!

Good birding,
Denise & David Hamilton
Napa
napabirders@att.net