Hooded Oriole in Northgate + a deformed Magpie, photos

naturestoc

Hi all. This morning while attempting to photograph Yellow-billed Magpies in Northgate (east of Natomas) I lucked into a winter male Hooded Oriole! The bird was at the corner of Norcross Dr. and Arundel Way when I first saw him. He flew east into the neighborhood and I didn't pursue. This area is less than 2-1/4 miles (as the Oriole flys!) from the spot in West Sacramento where Darrell Mohr and my area 8 Sac. CBC team found a male Hooded Oriole on 12-26-10! The same bird?

While near the above mentioned intersection, I photographed a Yellow-billed Magpie with a deformed face! This is a first for me (seeing a deformity in a Magpie).

Images of the Oriole and the Magpie can be seen at the link below. dan

http://naturestoc.smugmug.com/Birds/birdrarities/11954342_ungKr

Dan Brown,
Naturestoc Photos,
Sacramento,