Merced County Highlights 2/8/10

Dominik Mosur

Birded Merced County with Peter Metropulos today.

A GREATER ROADRUNNER at Romero Visitor Center got us off to a good start.

Between 11 and 5:30 p.m. we birded extensively around Gun Club and north Santa Fe Grade and had the following birds of note:

MEW GULL (adult)with (600+) Ring-billed and (80) Bonaparte's Gull.
PACIFIC-GOLDEN PLOVER (appeared lame in R leg) seen with (200+) Black-bellied Plovers
BLUE-WINGED TEAL (30)
MARBLED GODWIT (5)
PEREGRINE FALCON (adult female)
BALD EAGLE (2 adults)
TREE SWALLOW (one)
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS (~70, saw only males)
GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES (7, female seen carrying twigs at Gustine Gun Club)

Including a detour earlier along Billy Wright Road we also had day totals of (20, two "dark" morph) Red-tailed and(4) Red-shouldered Hawks, (31) Northern Harriers, (16)American Kestrels, (4) White-tailed Kites and (18) Loggerhead Shrikes.

Good Birding,
Dominik Mosur
San Francisco