Cosumnes birds in the last 10 days

Glennah Trochet

Dear Birders,

I have made several visits to the Cosumnes River Preserve in southern
Sacramento County in the last 10 days. I summarize here.

7 November Desmond Road: a very dark peregrine that did not afford
satisfactory study.

8 November Tall Forest and vicinity: green heron, dusky flycatcher,
blue-gray gnatcatcher (2), black-throated gray warbler, Townsend's warbler
(3), purple finch (6).

9 November Tall Forest and vicinity: dusky flycatcher, white-throated
sparrow, yellow-headed blackbird (26 degrees at the Accidental Forest at
sunrise).

10 November Tall Forest and vicinity: nothing of note; River Walk: sora (two
seen), lesser yellowlegs, purple finch.

11 November Tall Forest and vicinity: dusky flycatcher, varied thrush (FOS),
black-throated gray warbler, hermit warbler, western tanager, swamp sparrow,
white-throated sparrow (3); peregrine falcon on the Bruceville Road tower.

13 November Tall Forest and vicinity: American bittern, intergrade
yellow-shafted x red-shafted flicker (2), Say's phoebe, blue-gray
gnatcatcher, black-throated gray warbler, purple finch (11, 4 on three
fly-overs and a perched flock of seven); swamp sparrow was not seen, but a
loud phoebe-like chip from the interior of some cattails was probably this
bird (25 degrees at the Accidental Forest 40 minutes before sunrise).

14 November River Walk bird survey: blue-winged teal (3), American bittern,
cattle egret, merlin, sora (2), black-bellied plover, Hutton's vireo (4, I'm
sure the most ever for me on this trail), varied thrush (6), black-throated
gray warbler, lark sparrow.

15 November Tall Forest bird survey: common raven, varied thrush, purple
finch (21 degrees at the Accidental Forest at sunrise- I was cold!)

16 November Valensin Ranch: nothing of note, though grasslands in spots look
promising for longspurs, mountain bluebirds, raptors, etc.

The trend for the last 10 days in the Tall Forest is that of fewer
encounters with mixed flocks, and mixed focks found having smaller numbers
of birds. I fear that the succession of cold, clear nights has seen the
out-migration of most of the interesting passerines that I hoped would
persist through the symposium.

Best,
John Trochet
--