a few e. Yolo wetland birds

Gil Ewing

The Davis Sewer Ponds and nearby landfill had more pink-legged gulls today than at last report on Tuesday----25, among ~400 California gulls and one Ring-billed. These included 2 Glaucous-winged, 3 Thayer's gulls, and 4 adult Herring gulls. One unidentified gull I first thought to be the remaining 1st year Glaucous gull, large & pale with two-toned pink and black bill, until it stood up and I saw it's gray primary tips and dingy overall look. Decided it was a hybrid. Interesting to see the color variation of the California gulls' legs: one bird had almost orange legs and another had charcoal gray legs. I did not see either the regular Glaucous nor any Western gulls.

The Davis wetlands remain strangely unattractive to all types of birds, even the ones usually common this time of year, but the water levels have dropped enough so that sandbars have reappeared, and 150-200 dowitchers were there. Highlight was one coyote.

The shallow slough in the former Hunt-Wesson Hawk & Owl preserve west of the dump was attracting lots of shorebirds, but nothing unusual. Strangely, the only wigeons of the day are still hanging out here. Lots of Cattle egrets.

The small pond on the west side of Rd 103 north of Rd 28 had one tiny Aleutian Cackling goose (this may be the latest I've seen one there) among all the Canadas.

The marsh on the east side of Rd 103 where it T-bones into Rd 25 was attracting Yellow-headed and Tricolored blackbirds.

Farmers' Central ponds on Rd 102 near Woodland had 2 Clark's grebes (no others) and 2 Caspian terns, along with ~1000 peeps, appearing to be all Westerns.

Vic Fazio wetlands auto tour loop, at this rate, will soon have more jackrabbits than shorebirds. One puddle remains on the northward return leg, and it held 200 peeps plus 5 Semipalmated plovers. The rest of the water is in ditches except on the northern eastward leg. I think the cowbirds already outnumber Ed's marsh wrens.

Lake Washington had one nonbreeding-plumaged White pelican, one Forster's tern, and 15 Aechmophorus grebes. 14 of these were Western and the 15th resembled a winter Clark's, with a bright yellow bill, but had a darker back even than a couple of the Westerns (hybrid suspected).

The Bridgeport ponds had no unusual species, but over a thousand peeps, mostly Westerns.

Gil Ewing
Fair Oaks, CA