Davis sewer ponds, Yolo Co.

Gil Ewing

Took advantage of the beautiful break in the weather today on a third and unsuccessful attempt to find Todd's 1st-year glaucoides Iceland gull.

Saw two adult Western gulls, one each 1st-year and 2nd year Glaucous gulls, but the most intriguing gull today was a pale 2nd-year gull that I could not properly assign to species.
It was the size of a Thayer's gull. Two-toned pink bill with black tip. Pink legs. The feathering was almost completely white, with extremely little brown edging anywhere (a trace on the sides), and some very pale gray (paler than Herring or Ring-billed) mantle and scapular feathers coming in.
The bill was much too small and too narrow for a Glaucous gull, yet the body and bill sizes seemed a tad big for Iceland gull. Yet none of the Kumlein's Iceland gulls I've seen have been so white on the primaries and tail (completely white). Could this be a glaucoides- leaning Kumlein's gull?
Is there such a thing as a Glaucous-Iceland hybrid?

Last saw the Lesser black-backed gull on Feb 17, in the cold rain. Could still be around. There are several California gulls with very bright yellow legs present.

The dark-phased Ferruginous hawk was seen nearby, just to the west of Rd 103. It was circling with 3 Turkey vultures.

Gil Ewing
Fair Oaks, Sacramento Co., CA