Yolo/Solano border: AMDI, PIWO, RNGR...

Gil Ewing

Birded along Putah Creek and Lake Solano west of Winters, Yolo Co. / Solano Co. Sunday with Louise McCullough.

American dipper was found at its traditional wintering spot on Putah Creek just below the Hwy 128 bridge. Osprey was calling and flying nearby.
At Solano Co. Park campground we saw Brown creeper, Yellow warbler, Purple finch, Hutton's vireo, Red-breasted sapsucker, and heard Western tanager.
Ducks were sparse. Twelve Bufflehead were seen, but no goldeneyes or mergansers yet.
At the Youth Camp entry to Solano Co. Park we had a bold pair of Pileated woodpeckers, another Brown creeper and a Red-breasted sapsucker.

The best bird of he day was at the Winters Sewer Ponds: an immature Red-necked grebe. Very few other birds there.

Gil Ewing
Fair Oaks, Sacramento Co., CA