Topics

How much would you.....

CCB Health & Fitness

Good October morning everyone!!

I will be posing this question on Facebook and wanted to get your feedback as well.
Please share this with any friends/family who are blind/VI as the more replies the better.

With winter coming and access to external exercise facilities/resources becoming potentially more limited, I am curious…

HOW MUCH WOULD YOU SPEND TO HAVE EXERCISE EQUIPMENT AT HOME THAT YOU COULD USE TO PARTICIPATE IN FREE AND LIVE WEEKLY EXERCISE CLASSES——VIRTUALLY?

In discussion with many folks, either in big cities or specifically in rural settings, transportation can certainly pose a great burden on getting to a fitness facility.

Here at he Health & Fitness Program I am always listening and looking for new ways to help you out.

Certainly it is no secret that the blind/VI community are prone to tighter financial situations, however it is still required to meet you physical fitness needs in order to help prevent disease, manage current disease and just plain feel better!!
Would you invest in YOURSELF?  If so how much?

0-$20
20100$
100$+

I am thinking a 1 time purchase that you would invest in a piece of equipment that you would then have at home, allowing you to participate in FREE, LIVE, FITNESS class.

What kind of class?
Really depends on the equipment…
TRX,  Spin Class, Theraband Class, Body Weight/Core class….lots of options.

So there you have it…I am curious, as i have lots of ideas that can work, they key is finding a solution that would work best for most folks.

Let me know your thoughts!!!
RYAN VAN PRAET (R. Kin)
CCB Health & Fitness
National Program Manager & Coach
226-627-2179

to find links to Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Podcast & Email Chat List

Markus ThaDon2014

Hey bud, very good question. I for one had to terminate my gym membership for the reason of the cost was just simply kvetching up to us. I do have a weight bench in my basement for the time being plus an Oliptical that Robin was given for free, how ever with the fact that we have to move I’m not sure if i will be able to keep either of them will depend on how much room we have in the new place when they find one for us.
If i had to spend on a piece of equipment for a one time life long exercise  part of my life i would have to say i would defiantly find a good TRX to purchase and if i had the room i would potentially purchase a treadmill .
Those are my thoughts. Not sure if that is what you are looking for but i thought i would give my two sents.
Have a great evening.

Lion Markus McCracken
Chatham Lion’s Club

Active Living
Sports/Recreation
For all Abilities

https://www.facebook.com/groups/646369309046160/

makaveli2014@...
519 784 3416

[...]

hey bud,

Thanks for the feedback.
Ya the monthly money going out can really catch up….

I think I”m trying to get a handle on a theoretical:

“Hey, if I said pay $100, get a piece of equipment, engage with us online, LIVE in an exercise class….would you do this?”

I’m THINKING if i can get discounts, etc, and I can get a cost of say $100 for the blind/VI for a spin bike…then they can login 2x a week for indoor cycling classes.

It’s not something everyone would love, but i think it’s a scheduled workout that people will do virtually, I’d instruct…and you’d get regular exercise…

Just my thoughts.

On Oct 25, 2018, at 4:56 PM, Markus ThaDon2014 <makaveli2014@...> wrote:

[...]

Albert Ruel

Hey Ryan.  How about a set of Bands, a Floor Mat, a used Treadmill or BoFlex?  I picked up a used Treadmill for $200 and a BoFlex for about $500 some years ago, and sadly right now they’re great places for hanging things from in the garage.

Thx, Albert

[...]

Albert,
I know the saga of you and your BowFlex!! haha:)

My hope is to find a method to keep people active and engaged in the winter especially, also helping eliminate the obstacle of getting to a gym.

Certainly I am a big fan of getting out into the world…however sometimes you need to do what is necessary to get the job done.

I think keeping people active more regularly in winter will provide them with more energy and motivation to get going in the spring, summer.

On Oct 25, 2018, at 9:00 PM, Albert Ruel <albert.gtt@...> wrote:

[...]

Ah ok. Yeah i could see me doing that for sure.

[...]

Brian Bibeault

Hi Ryan,

I have been doing most of the routine we discussed last winter and have enrolled in the standup program at the Y which will end in early December. I have thought about enrolling for the winter at the Y but then I would need to travel there and i find the building very loud and it is a mase to get around, so that option is at the bottom of my list. I have been looking around for either a spin bike but leaning more towards a threadmill, they are not cheap and i am not sure at what style to go with. For now I do standup twice a week and do use my weight bench three times a week and no Albert I am not sleeping on it. If you have any recommendation on either bike or threadmills pros and con i would like to hear them, winter outdoors walking in my neighborhood is a nightmare, it is a quiet streets but there are no sidewalks and snowplows show up here last, so in winter i only go out for walks if I have somewhere to go.

Thanks,

Brian B.

[...]

Brian,
Great to hear from you and great news on the standup lessons, fun activity!

Fitness equipment can range widely in terms of style and pricing.
It really comes down to what you will use it for.

Treadmilll
-cheaper/small treadmills are best for walking as they don’t have room for running usually
-cheaper treadmills may have a smaller motor and less fancy electronics (touch screen, speakers, etc), however many lower budget treadmills these days are still pretty fancy for most.
-an example, i have a middle of the line treadmill that I use for running and it is about $2200.  By Nordictrack.
Nordic track makes cheaper/smaller versions around 800$ i believe.
Lots of other companies with pricier options.
Like Albert you can probably find a suitable treadmill for walking, on Kijiji or in your local want ads.  Many folks buy them and don’t use them….”cough, Albert, cough” haha.  Sorry for picking on you Albert but i think you are good natured about it.

Spin Bikes
-A “spin” bike is really a basic bike with adjustable seat, handlebars, etc.  There are usually no fancy electronics and usually has a tension knob or dial to adjust tension
“Exercise bikes” tend to be a bit bulkier, with a touch screen, fans, speakers, etc.  Thus they are a bit pricier.

A spin bike can range from $200 on eBay, to $2000 for a gym quality one.

For home use, the key I would suggest looking at are:

-affordable
-made of steel/aluminum
-adjustable (in terms of bikes)
-have features you want or don’t want.

Not sure if that helps at all?

I’m a big believer that middle of the road equipment is great for most, usually don’t need top of the line stuff, as you can get a 1-2 year old “top of the line” machine used for good deals...

On Oct 25, 2018, at 10:24 PM, Brian Bibeault <gtt.northbay@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks ryan, I will check out Kijiji for something better priced, I just found the ones in the stores a little prici for my  taste.

Brian B.

[...]

Hi again Ryan,

I guess a threadmill would have more advantages than a spin bike, also I was looking at some that had ski pole arms which would be better for movent I guess but they do have a higher price tag double the price of an Iphone Xs max, grin.

Brian B.

[...]

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

If thinking about bikes, I would opt for a BikeErg. What is that you say?

Erg means work, and you know what a bike is. hahaha. Concept2 manufactures their original indoor rowing machines, a SkiErg, and now a BikeErg. I have one of their Model D indoor rowers, and although I’m not using it right now, it is great. It does come apart into two sections so that it takes up less room when not in use.

But if I had room, I’d love to have a BikeErg as well. Here is company info:

The flywheel uses air resistance to create a smooth, quiet ride that responds to your efforts. The damper is your "gearing", allowing you to adjust the feel of your ride. Unlike most stationary bikes, the BikeErg has a clutch, so just like a real bike, when you stop pedaling, the flywheel keeps on spinning.

The sophisticated Performance Monitor gives you instantaneous workout feedback, with a wide variety of displays and workouts to choose from. The Performance Monitor is calibrated so you'll be able to directly compare your times and distances with other people, as well as track your progress.

The BikeErg comes from a company with over 40 years experience of making innovative, high quality products. Whatever sort of indoor cycling workout you're after, whether you're looking to get fit or gain an edge for your next race, the Concept2 BikeErg is the perfect machine for you.”

And the nice thing is that all of their equipment, the rowers, the SkiErg, and the BikeErg, all work with a free app called ErgData that runs on the iPhone. With the app, you get real-time, spoken output of a lot of the info that is on the console. Speed, distance, heartrate if you are using a heartrate monitor, etc. Plus it syncs everything to your online log so that you can keep track of your efforts, compare to others, enter challenges, etc.

https://www.concept2.com/

Unfortunatly, I don’t think I have room, though. I do have a treadmill, as well, and space is at a premium.

Jean

ccb.healthandfitness@...
[...]

One of the devices we used to have was a FitDesk.  We’ve since sent it to a new and better home, however it was an interesting experiment for the couple of years we had it.  This thing folded up into a smaller footprint and had an adjustable seat back for smaller and larger butts, and the seat raised and lowered depending on the leg length of the rider.  It was an exercise bike that was really quiet with a manual adjusting tension knob.  The greatest thing was the desktop that slanted slightly so you could place your laptop/iPad/iPhone on its rubber surface that kept your devices from slipping off when you hit those ultra-high speeds.  A feat I never accomplished.  LOL.  We had it in the living room thinking that we’d ride it while watching TV, and that didn’t happen, however it was quiet enough to allow such activities to take place.

Thx, Albert

If thinking about bikes, I would opt for a BikeErg. What is that you say?

Erg means work, and you know what a bike is. hahaha. Concept2 manufactures their original indoor rowing machines, a SkiErg, and now a BikeErg. I have one of their Model D indoor rowers, and although I’m not using it right now, it is great. It does come apart into two sections so that it takes up less room when not in use.

But if I had room, I’d love to have a BikeErg as well. Here is company info:

  • “The Concept2 BikeErg is the latest addition to our family of sport-based ergometers. The BikeErg has the same flywheel and Performance Monitor as our Concept2 Indoor Rowers and SkiErgs, bringing to cycling the strengths and features we've previously brought to rowing and cross-country skiing.

[...]

Ryan and Brian, the treadmill I found used in the Victoria area was a folding one that takes up little room, cause that’s all I have available.  It is so simple that even I could use it if I tried, as it has but one adjustment knob for speed and a safety string to shut it off when I collapse from working too hard.  Not that it’s ever happened though.  LOL.

Thx, Albert

[...]

I agree Ryan, and now that it’s getting a little cooler outside we’ll start using that treadmill a little more.  Since coming back from vacation on July 2 at 221 LB I’ve been working at getting back to the 195 range, and today I hit 204.4.  A little more exercise and better eating and drinking habits are working, despite my protestations about the treadmill and BoFlex.

Thx, Albert

[...]

Yes Albert watch for a video soon about the 10b creep…  a common thing as we all battle.
Yes my treadmill is folding as well, most home treadmills these days are.

That was my line of thinking in regards to a bike, it takes up a smaller foot print, requires no electricity, is easy to set tension, the flywheel can assist (momentum)….and financially a lot better suited to getting started.   Also an “easier” way to teach people safely over Live video.

There are tons of electronic toys out there to help keep us motivated and active!!!
I’ll try to share some of my collection.