Thanks Albert

LION
MARKUS McCRACKEN

On Apr 17, 2018, at 3:12 PM, Albert Ruel <albert.gtt@...> wrote:

Brian and Markus, I finally quit smoking for good on June 26, 1999 after having quit for 5 years in my twenties and 3 years in my thirties.  When I did it for the last time I was 43 and tired of quitting.  This time I vowed to never put myself through that again by finally understanding that I don’t have to worry about how many cigarettes I used to smoke, I only had to stay focused on not accepting the first one at each craving.  I came to that realization when it became clear to me that each time I started up again I did so by allowing one cigarette into my mouth, which was followed by two or three days of going nuts and sneaking cigarettes from others.  One cigarette is my ticket to Hell, and I’m not in the market any longer.

The visual I used on that final day was that of my father who was then 85 and 20 years cigarette free, and one of my brothers who was 49 and hacking his face off all day long due to cigarettes.  The Doctors told him at age 35 that he’d not see 55 if he didn’t clean up his act, and didn’t he fool them?  He died of lung cancer at 61, and my father made it to his 96th birthday.

The day I decided to quit I had stopped at the top of a flight of stairs to catch my breath, and the days leading up to that one saw me hacking far more then was comfortable for me.  So, I stood there and brought those two people into focus and asked myself which one I intended to follow, and what kind of life was I wanting for myself going forward.  The answer couldn’t have been more clear; I wanted a good life filled with pease, ease and palm trees, not the life my brother had selected for himself.  I changed my mind about that damned habit that day, and the world changed for me and my family.

How to quit?  In my twenties I quit smoking and drinking cold turkey because it seemed like these two things were negatively impacting my decreasing vision, and that didn’t seem to be so hard to do back then.  In my thirties I used a Smoke Enders course funded by my employer because the turkey had flown the koop, and finally in my forties I used just the first half of a 6-week course of a drug called Zyban.  I think I was good and ready by then and didn’t find it too difficult to get it done.

It’s my belief that we first have to be solidly decided to do something positive for ourselves, then grab any crutch you need in order to achieve the final goal.  Nothing will work if your resolve is weak, and anything will allow you to succeed if your resolve is real and determined.

Good luck to you all, and know that a far better life awaits you on the other side.  Yours is to decide but one thing, on the other side of what?

Thx, Albert