Topics

A bridge software Hackathon - next weekend

Kiat Huang

Edited

Key Info

* Hackathon sign up (here, sign up below)
https://groups.io/g/bridge-dev/topic/74196315

* Platform and services architecture prep discussion

* Discord channel
https://discord.gg/HYgkyGK

Want to improve the bridge world, particularly online?

Or just like to code cool and useful things?

    We* are running a bridge software Hackathon** next weekend and you're invited!   All welcome, no charge, cloud provided ;)

    Come join us and in small groups innovate, hack, prototype and learn stuff.

There's a bit of prep for the organisers to do, so RSVP would be appreciated.

You don't have to be a programmer or coder (though we need plenty) but any skills in data models, storage/DBs, cloud architecture, scrum/Agile, UX or UI, PWAs, PubSub/MQTT/SocketIO, systems admin, QA, Test, ML, networking, product management are all going to be very useful.

Hackathon
Date:  Sat 23rd May 2020
Time:  09:00 UTC (for 24 hours)
Tools: Git, Node, Python, etc
Platforms: Docker/Kube on GCP, maybe AWS
Comms: Discord, Zoom, Twitch

Some initial project ideas - all online - but not restricted to this.

* Play server
* Partner desk server
* Deal server
* Scoring server
* Robots server
* Results server
* PWA front ends
* APIs for server M2M comms
* Bridge deal data transmission and storage formats
* Results data transmission (e.g. USEBIO)
* Analogue to digital bridge data conversion (e.g. barcodes, OCR, RFID, etc)

Meet:            interesting people, with diverse interests but a common love of bridge

Decide:         what you want to work on
Collaborate: in groups
Create:         make prototypes!
Learn:           something new

A hackathon (also known as a hack day, hackfest or codefest; a portmanteau of hacking marathon) is a design sprint-like event; often, in which computer programmers and others involved in software development, including graphic designers, interface designers, project managers, domain experts, and others collaborate ...Wikipedia

* Participant list so far (interested for some or all)
Zhivko Draganov, Aaron Hutton, Dom Price, Adam Wildavsky, myself

** Has there been a bridge Hackathon before and if so what happened?

Simon Jacobsen

Hi Kiat

I would like to join the bridge software hackathon.

A bit about me:
I am a danish software engineer, age 34.
My programming skills include: C#, PHP, Javascript, SQL.
I have been playing bridge for 2½ years, so I am fairly new to the game, but I have been reading several books about bridge and have been playing a lot.
I unfortunately have limited time, because 2 month ago I got a daughter, so I am not sure that I am able to participate in the full 24 hours, but hopefully most of the time.
Could be fun to try and code on some of the ideas that is listed.

Best regards,
Simon

Date:  Sat 23rd May 2020
Time:  09:00 UTC (for 24 hours)
[...]

Adam Wildavsky

Some possibilities:
  • CCCC  calculation as a web service.
  • Bridge flashcard server
    • Allows manual entry of questions in various forms, e.g.
      • Given a system, a hand, and a sequence, what's the correct call?
      • Given a system and a sequence, what does the last call mean?
        • Natural or Artificial?
        • Weak or Strong?
        • Signoff, invitational, forcing one round, forcing to game
        • Limited or unlimited
        • Range?
  • Design a format for creating play and defense problems, Bridge Master style
    • Bonus: An initial implementation
  • System description than can be automatically rendered into:
    • Human readable notes
    • ACBL convention card
    • WBF convention card
    • Other NBO's convention cards
    • BBO Alert input2
  • Enhancements to BBO Alert
  • Card combination calculation as a web service
  • Double-dummy solver as a web service

Date:  Sat 23rd May 2020
Time:  09:00 UTC (for 24 hours)
[...]

Congrats on your new arrival, Simon!

You are welcome to spend as much or as little time as you have available. This should be an opportunity, not an obligation. I doubt I'll stay awake for the entire 24 hours.

Date:  Sat 23rd May 2020
Time:  09:00 UTC (for 24 hours)
[...]

Ping Hu

Hi, Kiat,

I would like to get involved.

Ping

Zhivko Draganov

I'm interested in the Playing server engine.
I can support with DevOps and back-end. Have a bunch of experience with microservice environments, also in containerized applications, and event-driven applications, that might be suitable for that project.

I can help with a high-level design diagram. If anyone wants to collaborate on the design, feel free to contact me.

Kiat Huang

Hi Simon,

Welcome!  And as a newish father to the land of limited and precious sleep :)

This is a community-driven Hackathon and as much this bridge-dev@ community as any other!

We want to build and serve working prototypes and going to need all the help we can get :)

---
Anyone that's coming along just reply with a copy of this list between the "---"  and add your name
Zhivko Draganov
Aaron Hutton
Dom Price
Adam Wildavsky
Kiat Huang
Simon Jacobsen
---

Kiat Huang

Welcome Ping!  Having read quite a few of your BridgeWinners posts, I'm sure you'll have fun, make some new friends and help build innovative prototypes. Glad you can make it :)

---
Anyone that's coming along just reply with a copy of this list between the "---"  and add your name
Zhivko Draganov
Aaron Hutton
Dom Price
Adam Wildavsky
Kiat Huang
Simon Jacobsen
Ping Hu
---

Nelson Ford

Regarding the flashcard server:

This isn't a flashcard generator, nor is it a server, but my CardShark BidBase Practice program can generate a series of hands for practicing a specified convention.

It deals random hands looking for those for which it would make the specified starting bids then creates a practice question for the next bid.

It puts 100 questions on a web page, but it could be set for any number.  It doesn’t have to be just for conventions.  It will accept any starting bids and ask for the next bid.  It can optionally show partner’s response to the bid and ask for the following bid.

Kiat Huang

+ Joe Hertz

---
Anyone that wants to participate, you're in!  Just reply with a copy between the "---"  and add your name to this alphabetical list

Aaron Hutton
Adam Wildavsky
Dom Price
Joe Hertz
Kiat Huang
Ping Hu
Simon Jacobsen
Zhivko Draganov

---

Nuno Damaso

Hi everyone, I'd like to join too.

My name is Nuno, I'm 35, from Portugal. I've been playing bridge since I was 12. I also have 2 kids (3y8m and 1y9m) that removed any time I had to play it seriously. (Good luck Simon! :) )

I'm also a software engineer and have experience on most of the tooling mentioned (though not really ux/ui).

---
Anyone that wants to participate, you're in!  Just reply with a copy between the "---"  and add your name to this alphabetical list

Aaron Hutton
Adam Wildavsky
Dom Price
Joe Hertz
Kiat Huang
Ping Hu
Simon Jacobsen
Zhivko Draganov
Nuno Damaso
---

Kiat Huang

Welcome Nuno, glad to have you on board!

We created a Discord server for comms - invite https://discord.gg/bX2DDJ

---
Anyone that wants to participate, you're in!  Just reply with a copy between the "---"  and add your name to this alphabetical list

Aaron Hutton
Adam Wildavsky
Dom Price
Joe Hertz
Kiat Huang
Nuno Damaso
Ping Hu
Simon Jacobsen
Zhivko Draganov
---

Poulose Matthen

Would love to participate. I'm just now learning bridge and am a hobbyist programmer, so hope I'll be able to be a positive addition to the team.

Great initiative, looking forward to it!

---

Date:  Sat 23rd May 2020
Time:  09:00 UTC (for 24 hours)
[...]

I'm in.

Kiat Huang

---

Anyone that wants to participate, you're in!  Just reply with a copy between the "---"  and add your name to this alphabetical list

Aaron Hutton

Adam Wildavsky
Brenda Egeland

Dom Price

Gonzalo Goded

Joe Hertz

Kiat Huang

Nelson Ford

Nuno Damaso

Ping Hu

Poulose Matthen

Simon Jacobsen

Zhivko Draganov

---

Kiat Huang

Which poster is best? :)

Adam Wildavsky

I like the taller one best, that is, the one with the colors.

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 8:25 PM Kiat Huang <kiat.huang@...> wrote:

Which poster is best? :)

martinlindf@...

Hey, I'd like to sign up too. Not sure what I'll do, will have to think about it!

David Synnott

Hi,

I'd be interested in joining. My experience is mostly in Frontend (React/Angular etc.) and the API layer.

---

Anyone that wants to participate, you're in!  Just reply with a copy between the "---"  and add your name to this alphabetical list

Aaron Hutton

Adam Wildavsky

Brenda Egeland

David Synnott

Dom Price

Gonzalo Goded

Joe Hertz

Kiat Huang

Nelson Ford

Nuno Damaso

Ping Hu

Poulose Matthen

Simon Jacobsen

Zhivko Draganov

---

Adam Wildavsky

Let's figure out which toolchains we'll likely use and post links to tutorials so that participants can become familiar with the tools likely to be used for the project they choose.

I've not done any serious development since 2015. In those days I was most familiar with Google App Engine using Python and with Ruby on Rails.