'Tappet clearances'

John Harris

I have had my 405 engine running after many years off the road. I set the valve clearances to 0.012 inch as stated in the manual and it ran well but with lots of smoke. I have stripped the engine again to fit new pistons, but on reading the hand book it says 0.002 inch. Which is correct please? John.

benn.faulkner

I did mine a couple of thousand miles ago and used the 100b.pdf (Workshop manual for the Bristol 2 litre types 100B and 100B2) as my guide;

0.005 when cold (this is the one to use)

0.012 when engine temp is 70-75 deg C (this is for checking all is ok)

It seemd to work pretty well: I sounded less like I was knitting at speed anyway.

Benn