No Access to the BOC website.

Geoff Kingston

I am a fully paid up member of the BOC and yet I have not been able to access the members area of the website for around three weeks now give or take a few days as I have not been well and out of commission myself, I know that fellow club members are doing their very best to try and resolve these issues, get things back on track and get the website and IT system fully functioning, but a lot of club members I talk to keep on coming back to the question of cost to date and the figure of £70K keeps on coming up, at least I can take comfort in knowing what it costs to invest in a load of crap in these times of increasing inflation.
Geoff.

John Tullett

Well put Geoff.

Mr Herdman is currently organising the repair and then replacement of the club IT systems. Perhaps when he left for Turkey he forgot to flick the switch? Could someone pop round to check?

The figure of £70,000 was offered to me by Brian Ridley-Jones when I quoted somewhat less in a meeting. I cannot confirm the exact figure but we have a new treasurer and hopefully he can count better than the previous? Perhaps someone could write in and ask for the total including all amendments since signing the contract?

Geoff Kingston via groups.io wrote on 03/09/2022 23:38:

I am a fully paid up member of the BOC and yet I have not been able to access the members area of the website for around three weeks now give or take a few days as I have not been well and out of commission myself, I know that fellow club members are doing their very best to try and resolve these issues, get things back on track and get the website and IT system fully functioning, but a lot of club members I talk to keep on coming back to the question of cost to date and the figure of £70K keeps on coming up, at least I can take comfort in knowing what it costs to invest in a load of crap in these times of increasing inflation.
Geoff.

dwomby

I cannot login either.  What the heck is going on in this  club?  I am seriously considering  leaving it.

David
--
David Womby
1964 408-7023 Florida/Nova Scotia

Geoff Hawkins

Whilst John's reply was tongue in cheek, Geoffrey Herdman has had nothing to do with the current website, and in fact saw no reason to replace the original website in the first place, which cost peanuts to run and maintain.
The replacement was as a result of competitive tender. A sub-committee had been in charge of the tender, and recommeded, what is essentially, the current provider. Two of the current committee were sitting on the committee at the time. They were told the result of the competition, but not the detail, and were urged to vote for the development and adoption of the company's proposal.
As to the current situation, it is as frustrating for committee members, as it is for the members, as we have no access to the website either. We have raised a number of tickets with the website provider, and are urging a swift resumption of service.

Geoff Hawkins

Geoff Kingston

Geoff,
I appreciate your comments and the frustration that you and your fellow committee members have with the current situation but the members area of the website is still off line so for gods sake isn't it time to stop issuing tickets and urging a swift resumption of service and threaten breach of contact assuming there is I hope a proper written legal agreement in place between the club and its IT provider .
 A response for us all please.
Geoff.

John Tullett

John Tullett wrote on 11/09/2022 10:15:

Good morning,

In committee I requested many times for sight of the original outline for the 'new' website and its accompanying CRM (management) programme. Finally earlier this year the details were promised but alas never appeared. It is of course ridiculous to suggest that no written instruction, illustration or estimates were offered and if they were that they are not still in existence. The reason for keeping them obscured I cannot imagine.

The members have paid these quite extraordinary sums for a system that has never worked acceptably and recently not at all, has led to members being unable to renew, some to be charged more than once and for the then membership secretary, now our chairman, not to be able to positively state the number of members in the club years in succession. There were discrepancies of up to 200 persons seemingly being unable to be resolved with almost eighty being known to be problematic. How many do we have now? That may be known by the new membership secretary, as he has his own system running, and has for a number of years, that was not authorised and outside the knowledge of most of the committee members, certainly outside my knowledge. This data that he was privately manipulating led to an unauthorised (by the committee) member directory being published in December 2021 of which I have a copy. There are too many questions without acceptable answers to list here.

Perhaps a forensic examination of how we have arrived at where we are now is overdue? It may be useful for the committee to instruct a sub committee of respected elders of the club to review. Or better still a series of statements from this committee giving intentions to resolve current problems and to answer the increasing numbers of questions that are being discussed.

John

Geoff Kingston via groups.io wrote on 11/09/2022 00:14:
Geoff,
I appreciate your comments and the frustration that you and your fellow committee members have with the current situation but the members area of the website is still off line so for gods sake isn't it time to stop issuing tickets and urging a swift resumption of service and threaten breach of contact assuming there is I hope a proper written legal agreement in place between the club and its IT provider .
 A response for us all please.
Geoff.

Geoff Kingston

Its getting worse! Today you can get to the websites first page click on any option, member or non member and get :-

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

[...]

I emailed our web provider again yesterday at 1945hrs, and received a reply at 2240hrs assuring me that the team were working hard on the problem. I note that this morning the website is restored. I have tried it, and although slightly slow in my opinion, it is working.

Geoff Hawkins

Dorien

I agree, it does have life in it.

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 10:56:49 a.m. EDT, Geoff Hawkins via groups.io <geoffrey.hawkins@...> wrote:

I emailed our web provider again yesterday at 1945hrs, and received a reply at 2240hrs assuring me that the team were working hard on the problem. I note that this morning the website is restored. I have tried it, and although slightly slow in my opinion, it is working.

Geoff Hawkins

Geoff Kingston

Yes it does seem to working well again and this afternoon quicker than this morning so fingers crossed all is now well. Have just spent an enjoyable hour reading some of the early BMW/Bristol bulletins, a 400 which had just had a £100 rebuild on its 85c engine on offer for £200, but the one I really enjoyed was number 023 for the Spring of 1971, I am not sure if I have a copy of that one in my collection but I know I have 024 onwards and a few of the earlier ones. One perhaps should draw a vail over an enthusiastic new member who fitted a BMC 1500 cc engine and gearbox to his Bristol but at least he had some fun in it and graduated onto a better car.