Pontes Media Downloader - version 3 released

Nelu Cîmpean

Hi, everybody!
I've noticed some discussions here about Pontes Media Downloader and I just want to let you all know that we've just released version 3 of the program.
The major technical difference is that version 3 has a javafx interface instead of the older dot net interface.
Also it includes ffmpeg 4 for converting and, of course the latest version of youtube-dl for downloading.
It comes with oracle java 8 included and accessibility features enabled (tested with nvda and narator on windows).

I've tried to keep the same keyboard shortcuts as in version 2.1 There is also a window that lists all the shortcuts (control k opens it)
I've added a downloads table in which you can manage individual downloads. It is possible to download more than one file at a time. Default setting is 3 downloads simultaneously.
The program will automatically detect a playlist now and will open a window where you can choose the elements from the playlist that you want to download. By default all items are checked.  You can check/uncheck an item from the list with space All the checked items will be added to the downloads table
You can also view each download's log (control g) This is useful if for some reason a file was not downloaded (usually the last line of the log is the error)

The downside is that the installer is bigger (around 70 mb in windows) and it takes more space on the hdd (around 250 mb mostly because of java and ffmpeg)
The major advantage is that the program is now cross-platform (there are also mac and linux versions available).
The official webpage of the program is here http://www.pontes.ro/en/scripts/#pmd

You can download the program from here:
Windows version (32 and 64 bit) http://pontes.ro/ro/utile/instrumente/pmd/Pmd_install_v3.exe
Mac OsX version (64 bit) http://pontes.ro/ro/utile/instrumente/pmd/Pmd_v3_osx.zip
Linux (Debian based, 64 bit) http://pontes.ro/ro/utile/instrumente/pmd/pmd_3.0.2-190302_amd64.deb

Version 2.1 will remain available (for those who just need a simpler utility) at http://pontes.ro/ro/utile/instrumente/pontes_media_downloader_install_2_1.exe

Pontes Media Downloader is just a friendly interface for youtube-dl - a wonderful command line utility that does all the complicated media extraction.
Have fun using Pontes Media Downloader!

Mario

Nelu, using 2.1, is it possible to create a list of acceptable URLS (say
using Notepad), start PMD, open the download Multiple Clips dialog,
paste the list of gathered URLs, and start the download/conversion process?
I ask because I couldn't figure out any steps on how to get PMD to
download/convert a batch of videos without having to do each video one
by one, which is tedious.

. also, I noticed that the first URL was downloaded/converted, but the
second URL listed failed to download. I then inserted a blank line
between the first and second URL and tried again to download, but PMD
failed right after the second URL started to download.

I also discovered the included help to be not very useful since it was
somewhat vague and lacked an example to follow. I hope version 3 is not
too buggy since it is a new version.

[...]

Laz

This would make it a perfect program for downloading from YouTube.

Laz

On 3/3/19, Mario <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Kwork

Nelu, thanks for a new version of Pontes. I've been using the version 2 series for a while. Off to try the next one now. Much appreciated.

Travis

On 3/3/2019 6:30 AM, Nelu Cîmpean wrote:
[...]

Hi, Mario
Yes, the feature exists in version 2.1 and it is also included in version 3.
The feature works in 2.1. After you paste the url's you have to tab to destination formats combobox in the multiple downloads window and then to start downloading button.
The program will start downloading the url's one by one. Unfortunately because the clipboard is monitored it will also paste them in the url field from the main window but the program should ignore them .
In version 2.1 the url's are written to the downloads.list file in the Engine directory. and then downloaded.
The bug is fixed in version 3 because now the url's are directly taken from the multiple downloads window, checked for validity and then added to the downloads table.

I didn't write a manual for version 3 yet. I tried to keep all the functionalities from the previous version while adding new ones.

Nelu

Scott Meyer

Hi,
trying to download mac version with no luck.
when opening  the file ,nothing happens.

No security issues.
Any Ideas, using latest operating system.
Scott

On Mar 3, 2019, at 8:30 AM, Nelu Cîmpean <nelucampean@...> wrote:

[...]

Smiling?

Wondering if you or whomever it is that is responsible for the code writing of this software has ever thought of creating a portable version of Pontes?

[...]

Immigrant

Using JAWS 2019 and PMD version 3: On the menu bar, after pressing Enter on
a menu option nothing seems to happen, but if you start tabbing, you will
hear keyboard shortcuts for the relevant items. In PMD 2.1, I always
redirected converted files to my downloads folder. I tried to do it in
version 3. For some strange reason, when you reach the control to choose a
folder, the program closes. This happens no matter which way you reach this
option - in the main program window or in the options. The default download
location is a read-only field, so you have to press the Select button to
change the location. If you focus on the control choosing a folder, the
program is closed, so you have to write the folder path in manually.

[...]

Is it possible to choose the MP3 bit rate? Version 2.1 converted to 124 bit rate, and version 3 seems to convert to an even lower 117.

[...]

SUNRISE DREAMER

Hello, could you post a copy of your current manual of pontes to the list?

Would be most appreciated.

Catcha later

[...]

Hi, Immigrant
Version 3 should convert with the same bitrate as the original file. The bitrate is not controlled by the program anymore. So, if the original file from the internet has a variable bitrate @128 the coverted file should have the same bitrate.
The logic behind this is that you will not effectively gain anything in audio quality if you convert 128 vbr to 256 cbr.

Gene

I wouldn't assume that.  I consider it bad design to predetermine parameters and give the user no control.  You can have a setting that predetermines the parameters if the user wishes but this setting should be optional, whether it is the default or not.  You are converting from a compressed format, whatever Youtube uses to another compressed format.  So you are losing new information the more compression you use.  I use 320KBPS when converting youtube to MP3.  I don't know how lower bit rates would compare.  But I use the highest bit rate because that adds the least amount of compression to an already compressed file.  Such choices are not up to the developer to make for the user in a way that gives the user no choice.  and it is completely contradicted by the design of the rest of the program regarding encoding file types.  You can control the parameters of other file types.  Singling out MP3 is a contradiction in design and is one reason I have never used the program.  the other is simply that I started using another one before I knew about yours but I have no desire to try it with the predetermined bit rate of MP3 files.

Gene

Version 3 should convert with the same bitrate as the original file. The bitrate is not controlled by the program anymore. So, if the original file from the internet has a variable bitrate @128 the coverted file should have the same bitrate.
The logic behind this is that you will not effectively gain anything in audio quality if you convert 128 vbr to 256 cbr.

Kwork

I agree with this, and was trying to figure out how to word it. A lossy encode of a lossy source does not retain the integrity of the original source. The only two ways to do that would be either to encode to a lossless format, such as wav or flac, or, extract the original audio file, or demux I think it's called, from the original source, and the key word is extract, not convert. Otherwise, you'll just keep introducing extra quality loss on top of quality loss. That's why most mp3 encodes of YouTube files sound so bad, even worse than the sourced audio. With my tinnitus, my ears are sensitive to that.

As I generally grab videos in original quality, not that big a deal for me personally, but just trying to add to what Gene said here as to why allowing users a choice might be an option to reconsider.

Travis

On 3/4/2019 4:23 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

yes, I'd like a copy too, please? do post.

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

The best way not to lose any quality from the original Youtube file is to download it in unconverted form--usually MP4--and then use a third party software to convert it to a high bit rate mp3 file or even better, a lossless format such as APE or FLAC.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Nelu Cîmpean

Hello, Scott
The Mac version is basically a portable application packed as a zip file
first you have to extract it (ex press space and choose decompress)
You will have a PontesMediaDownloader app in the same folder
Then you have to bypass the security for unknown developers. This can be done by selecting PontesMediaDownloader application, pressing VO +shift +M to emulate the right click mouse menu with voiceover and then choosing open while pressing the control key.
Of course you can copy the app wherever you want/

Nelu Cîmpean

From version 3 there is a menuitem that helps you choose the download folder. It is under the Options menu and you can trigger it with control shift e. So, wherever you are in the program, pressing control shift e will open a dialog from which you can choose the download folder.
Regarding the menu it is a little bit strange how javafx accessibility handles menus in the sense that submenus are more accessible than the main menu,... really strange.
Pressing alt will select the menu bar. Pressing right and left arrows navigates through the menu bar items. in order to open a submenu you have to press down arrow twice. it is a little bit strange until you get used to it (i tested both with jaws and nvda).
I'm taking into consideration replacing the menu bar,  for the windows version, with a toolbar with buttons, each button would trigger a submenu. I will test if this variant is more accessible.
Regarding the mp3 bitrate, I guess, if so many of you request it i could add an optional feature for it but i still believe that by upsampling audio you just increase the file size while affecting audio quality.
Regarding the manual I will post it as soon as I finish writing it. There were many features added in version 3 so I have to rewrite it.

Scott Meyer

Hi,
 Maybe file was corrupted because file would not open, confirmed this with Apple Tech.
Could you send me link to Mac version again.

Thanks
scott
On Mar 4, 2019, at 12:49 PM, Nelu Cîmpean <nelucampean@...> wrote:

Hello, Scott
The Mac version is basically a portable application packed as a zip file
first you have to extract it (ex press space and choose decompress)
You will have a PontesMediaDownloader app in the same folder
Then you have to bypass the security for unknown developers. This can be done by selecting PontesMediaDownloader application, pressing VO +shift +M to emulate the right click mouse menu with voiceover and then choosing open while pressing the control key.
Of course you can copy the app wherever you want/

Nelu Cîmpean

Hi, Scott
I just tested it in a virtualbox virtual machine with macos sierra.
I downloaded the mac file from http://pontes.ro/ro/utile/instrumente/pmd/Pmd_v3_osx.zip
The system automatically extracted it.
Then I discovered that you have to move the app somewhere else from the downloads folder (for example in the Desktop folder or in the applications folder. I just noticed that it won't open directly in the downloads folder. so i pressed command c and went to applications folder and pressed command v. Then I selected the application and pressed vo shift m to open the mouse content menu then I pressed down arrow to go to the Open menu item and then pressed control space.(control is important in this procedure) A dialogue appeared which asked me  if I am sure I want to open this unknown app and I chose open. Mr. Mac verifyied the app and then it opened. You only have to do this first time you open the app (this is what my mac user blind friends who tested the app told me). I could ask them again tomorrow exactly how they do it but I believe that, in your case, the problem is that, for a strange reason, the app does not open directly in the downloads folder.

Immigrant

Thanks for the explanation.