Pontes Media Downloader - version 3 released

Al

Was there ver a help file for this new version?

Al

From: blindtech@groups.io <blindtech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Nelu Cîmpean
Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 1:06 PM
To: blindtech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BlindTech] Pontes Media Downloader - version 3 released

Hi, Scott
After you copy the url you have to choose mp3 as conversion format
Control n opens conversion formats. Default is download original. pressing down arrow once sets it to mp3.
then control d downloads
This has to be done only the first time. It will remain on mp3 for the future until you change it again.
Nelu

Immigrant

Thanks. I am running Windows 7, and I am not sure if it is my system's reaction. I was exploring the dialog with the tab key, not shift tab, and when I reached the cancel button, not only the dialog closed but the entire program. But pressing shift tab twice does focus on the folder structure of the standard Explorer window.

From: blindtech@groups.io [mailto:blindtech@groups.io] On Behalf Of Nelu Cimpean
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 2:18 PM

I tested the select folder dialog again and again and it works.
It is the standard windows 10 open folder dialog.
Here's how I did it (assuming you have windows 10, i think it is the same in older versions of windows from 7 onwards:
-pressed control shift e
-pressed shift tab once (if I hear something about split button press shift tab again)
You are now in the default folder (.../Documents/Pontes Media Downloader) 
Pressing backspace gets you to the upper folder. So if you press backspace once you get into the documents folder and if you press it again you get out of the documents folder.
Then you navigate with up/down arrow to select downloads folder, you enter into the downloads folder.
Then you navigate with tab to the choose folder button and press it. The dialogue will close and you will have the downloads folder selected.

The window is basically an encapsulated explorer window so all explorer shortcuts work. for example control shift n creates new folder, f2 renames, etc.

Immigrant

I could try it on the test server if I think of it. Just didn't want to do any experimentation during a show and then scramble if there is a problem.

From: blindtech@groups.io [mailto:blindtech@groups.io] On Behalf Of Smiling?
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 2:59 AM

Simply just try it for yourself as an experiment and see whether or not it works by creating various files set at different bit rates and formats and see what comes to be and let us know. I would hope that it would allow different formats other than MP3 to be used (nothing against MP3, it would just be surprising if it did not allow anything else).

From: blindtech@groups.io [mailto:blindtech@groups.io] On Behalf Of Immigrant
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2019 5:39 PM

Part of the broadcasting software package is an encoder. No matter the bit rate of the source file on my end, it will be encoded to a bit rate set in the encoder configuration. This particular encoder is set to MP3, 128 KBPS, stereo. Whether I have a song in 128 or 320 original bit rate, the output bit rate will be the one resulting from the digital signal processing happening before the song is heard on the station. What I am unsure of, is the non-MP3 format compatibility with this DSP. If I put a song on my playlist and it is, say, a .wav, or .flac, or any of the other formats, will I get an error or will it still encode it in MP3?

From: blindtech@groups.io [mailto:blindtech@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 7:49 PM

Are you saying that everything you play is at that bit rate and that you have to convert anything that isn't?

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 5:18 PM

Bit rate is not a matter of choice, I am following the station's requirements in terms of settings.

Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 5:04 PM

128KBPS bit rate is not considered adequate quality for serious listening.  You may not have a problem because your audience may not be that particular and it isn't a professional show but 128kbps is a bit rate knowledgeable sound people say is fine for small headphones but makes audio sound small when listened to on high quality equipment.

I suspect that you may often be losing sound quality, perhaps enough to matter.  if you want to get a request as quickly as possible for playing, downloading in a lossess format like wave may well produce superior results, enough to matter.

Gene

Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 2:45 PM

I have an Internet radio show. Most of the time as of recently, if I download a song from YouTube, this is because it has been requested and I don't happen to have it. I try to have as little time as possible between receiving a request and fulfilling it, so downloading the track in .wav and then converting it with GoldWave would take a lot more time. I encode in MP3 at 128 bit rate, I am still a relatively new broadcaster so I am not sure if songs in a format other than MP3 are compatible with the encoder.

From: blindtech@groups.io [mailto:blindtech@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 10:25 AM

Hi Group,

The best way not to lose any quality from the original Youtube file is to download it in unconverted form--usually MP4--and then use a third party software to convert it to a high bit rate mp3 file or even better, a lossless format such as APE or FLAC. 

On 3/4/2019 3:44 AM, Nelu Cîmpean wrote:

Hi, Immigrant
Version 3 should convert with the same bitrate as the original file. The bitrate is not controlled by the program anymore. So, if the original file from the internet has a variable bitrate @128 the coverted file should have the same bitrate.
The logic behind this is that you will not effectively gain anything in audio quality if you convert 128 vbr to 256 cbr.

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Scott Meyer

Hi,
Control and did the trick to MP three but when I hit download it won’t run the program because I think it still thinks it already did it and I can’t figure out how to delete the two files.
I went into the folder and deleted the two files there but it still saying complete in the program it self.
Scott

On Mar 5, 2019, at 2:06 PM, Nelu Cîmpean <nelucampean@...> wrote:

Hi, Scott
Control n opens conversion formats. Default is download original. pressing down arrow once sets it to mp3.
then control d downloads
This has to be done only the first time. It will remain on mp3 for the future until you change it again.
Nelu

Nelu Cîmpean

I tested the select folder dialog again and again and it works.
It is the standard windows 10 open folder dialog.
Here's how I did it (assuming you have windows 10, i think it is the same in older versions of windows from 7 onwards:
-pressed control shift e
-pressed shift tab once (if I hear something about split button press shift tab again)
You are now in the default folder (.../Documents/Pontes Media Downloader) 
Pressing backspace gets you to the upper folder. So if you press backspace once you get into the documents folder and if you press it again you get out of the documents folder.
Then you navigate with up/down arrow to select downloads folder, you enter into the downloads folder.
Then you navigate with tab to the choose folder button and press it. The dialogue will close and you will have the downloads folder selected.

The window is basically an encapsulated explorer window so all explorer shortcuts work. for example control shift n creates new folder, f2 renames, etc.

Nelu Cîmpean

Hi, Scott
then control d downloads
Nelu

Smiling?

When I wrote and asked if you ever thought of creating a portable version of your software, I meant for Windows because this portable Mac version, from the little research I did will not work on Windows. So are you thinking of creating a portable version of Pontes Media Downloader for Windows?

Hi, Immigrant
Version 3 should convert with the same bitrate as the original file. The bitrate is not controlled by the program anymore. So, if the original file from the internet has a variable bitrate @128 the coverted file should have the same bitrate.
The logic behind this is that you will not effectively gain anything in audio quality if you convert 128 vbr to 256 cbr.

-- 

Smiling?

Simply just try it for yourself as an experiment and see whether or not it works by creating various files set at different bit rates and formats and see what comes to be and let us know. I would hope that it would allow different formats other than MP3 to be used (nothing against MP3, it would just be surprising if it did not allow anything else).

From: blindtech@groups.io [mailto:blindtech@groups.io] On Behalf Of Immigrant
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2019 5:39 PM

Part of the broadcasting software package is an encoder. No matter the bit rate of the source file on my end, it will be encoded to a bit rate set in the encoder configuration. This particular encoder is set to MP3, 128 KBPS, stereo. Whether I have a song in 128 or 320 original bit rate, the output bit rate will be the one resulting from the digital signal processing happening before the song is heard on the station. What I am unsure of, is the non-MP3 format compatibility with this DSP. If I put a song on my playlist and it is, say, a .wav, or .flac, or any of the other formats, will I get an error or will it still encode it in MP3?

Are you saying that everything you play is at that bit rate and that you have to convert anything that isn't?

Gene

Bit rate is not a matter of choice, I am following the station's requirements in terms of settings.

128KBPS bit rate is not considered adequate quality for serious listening.  You may not have a problem because your audience may not be that particular and it isn't a professional show but 128kbps is a bit rate knowledgeable sound people say is fine for small headphones but makes audio sound small when listened to on high quality equipment.

I suspect that you may often be losing sound quality, perhaps enough to matter.  if you want to get a request as quickly as possible for playing, downloading in a lossess format like wave may well produce superior results, enough to matter.

Gene

I have an Internet radio show. Most of the time as of recently, if I download a song from YouTube, this is because it has been requested and I don't happen to have it. I try to have as little time as possible between receiving a request and fulfilling it, so downloading the track in .wav and then converting it with GoldWave would take a lot more time. I encode in MP3 at 128 bit rate, I am still a relatively new broadcaster so I am not sure if songs in a format other than MP3 are compatible with the encoder.

Hi Group,

The best way not to lose any quality from the original Youtube file is to download it in unconverted form--usually MP4--and then use a third party software to convert it to a high bit rate mp3 file or even better, a lossless format such as APE or FLAC. 

Hi, Immigrant

-- 

Immigrant

It would. But Pontes, the program I use to convert YouTube videos to audio, only converted to 124 KBPS in version 2.1, and version 3 converts to the bit rate that the source file is in, at least for now. SongR converted to a higher bit rate, I believe it was 192, but SongR doesn't really work anymore.

From: blindtech@groups.io [mailto:blindtech@groups.io] On Behalf Of marcio via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 8:44 PM

Em 04/03/2019 22:39, Immigrant escreveu:
No matter the bit rate of the source file on my end, it will be encoded to a bit rate set in the encoder configuration.
However, wouldn't it be better to deal with a file at 320 kbps so you can get the less affected audio?
I mean, a 320 file converted to an 128 is better than one at 128 converted to 128 again, at least I guess.

Cheers,

Bill Powers

Gene,

What you said about converting a 128 to a 128 kbps file makes sense. I hadn’t thought about it, but it’s much the same as copying a 7-1/2 IPS reel to reel onto another reel at the same speed. Being it’s analog, you add hiss, possible distortion, flutter and wow to the new copy; even in digital the fact is, the file is getting re-compressed so there is potential for more loss even if the listener doesn’t notice.

Let’s take this one step further. Take that 128 kbps copy, re-encode it. now take that re-encoded copy and again re-encode it, and do this about 4-5 times then listen to the final result. By that time, you would likely notice severe degredation of sound quality since it’s analogous to a fifth generation analog dub.

Most people would probably not notice a single-generation re-encoding, but I’d hate to be stuck with such a file as there’s no fix for it.

BP  

Gene

Any time you reencode a lossie file, such as MP3, which is what you are talking about, you lose quality.  If you have a 128kbps MP3 file and you reencode it again as a 128KBPS MP3 file, you lose quality.  It isn't very much just once but every time you do so, you lose more even if the parameters are exactly the same.  That's why when you use a program like Goldwave and are working with an MP3 file, or any other format, you should do all the editing and, if you save your work, save it as a lossless file like a wave file until the final edit has been made.  You would then save the final version as MP3. 

In a program like MP3 Direct Cut, where you are editing the MP3 file and then saving the file without reencoding it, you lose no quality no matter how many times you save it.

Every time you reencode a lossie format, the compression systems remove more sound, even if the parameters are identical.

Gene

Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 8:36 PM

actually, unless there is some kind of pumping that goes on with each successive file conversion, there would be no audible difference between a 320 or 128 kbps file converted to 128, because you’ll only hear the fidelity of the final output of the file anyway. I’m wondering if any “conversion” would actually occur since the bitrates are identical, and if there is a conversion, is there an intermediary format it’s converted to before re-conversion? I’m curious how that might work. But having said that, it would be my assumption that there shouldn’t be audible differences in the 128 file again converted to 128 since they both have the same limitations.

BP

Bill Powers

actually, unless there is some kind of pumping that goes on with each successive file conversion, there would be no audible difference between a 320 or 128 kbps file converted to 128, because you’ll only hear the fidelity of the final output of the file anyway. I’m wondering if any “conversion” would actually occur since the bitrates are identical, and if there is a conversion, is there an intermediary format it’s converted to before re-conversion? I’m curious how that might work. But having said that, it would be my assumption that there shouldn’t be audible differences in the 128 file again converted to 128 since they both have the same limitations.

BP

Gene

Maybe someone else will know.

Gene

Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 7:39 PM

Gene

Gene

Hi Group,

Hi, Immigrant
-- 

Em 04/03/2019 22:39, Immigrant escreveu:
No matter the bit rate of the source file on my end, it will be encoded to a bit rate set in the encoder configuration.
However, wouldn't it be better to deal with a file at 320 kbps so you can get the less affected audio?
I mean, a 320 file converted to an 128 is better than one at 128 converted to 128 again, at least I guess.

Cheers,

Immigrant

Gene

Gene

Hi Group,

Hi, Immigrant
-- 

Gene

Gene

Gene

Hi Group,

Hi, Immigrant
-- 

Immigrant

Gene

Hi Group,

Hi, Immigrant
-- 

Byron Stephens

I get all my stuff in 320k-bit and no lower for the most part, and that's what I do all my vinyl rips at, same for tapes.

Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 2:03 PM

Gene

Hi Group,

Hi, Immigrant
-- 

Gene

Gene

Hi Group,

Hi, Immigrant
-- 

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

There needs to be a browse button added and the bit rate at which it is converted needs to be optional and be able to be chosen by the user.

From: blindtech@groups.io [mailto:blindtech@groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Meyer
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2019 4:34 PM

Hi,

That worked.

Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of the program, I was looking to convert tube files to mp3.

What I got  was Web.m.

Thanks

Scott

On Mar 4, 2019, at 3:59 PM, Immigrant <immigrant328@...> wrote:

I tried Control Shift E, and I tried Control O and then tabbing to this particular option. I got an empty field where I can write in a folder path, and then a "Select" button. Pressing the Select button opens a dialog where I should be able to choose a folder, but there is no Browse button that is typical for such dialogs. So, I tabbed around thinking that I will end up finding the folder structure and locating the folder from there. But when I tabbed past the Cancel button, the program always shut itself down. The only way to change the destination folder, after pressing Control Shift E, is to manually write a folder path into the first edit field. 

From: blindtech@groups.io [mailto:blindtech@groups.io] On Behalf Of Nelu Cimpean
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 1:14 PM

From version 3 there is a menuitem that helps you choose the download folder. It is under the Options menu and you can trigger it with control shift e So, wherever you are in the program, pressing control shift e will open a dialog from which you can choose the download folder.
Regarding the menu it is a little bit strange how javafx accessibility handles menus in the sense that submenus are more accessible than the main menu,... really strange.
Pressing alt will select the menu bar. Pressing right and left arrows navigates through the menu bar items. in order to open a submenu you have to press down arrow twice. it is a little bit strange until you get used to it (i tested both with jaws and nvda).
I'm taking into consideration replacing the menu bar,  for the windows version, with a toolbar with buttons, each button would trigger a submenu. I will test if this variant is more accessible.
Regarding the mp3 bitrate, I guess, if so many of you request it i could add an optional feature for it but i still believe that by upsampling audio you just increase the file size while affecting audio quality.
Regarding the manual I will post it as soon as I finish writing it. There were many features added in version 3 so I have to rewrite it.