From: "Shaun Everiss" <@smeveriss>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 21:09
To: <blind-gamers@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [blind-gamers] accessible game engine

The bgt concepts are quite old made with directx 8 tech.

Python seems to be the bgt of the future at least it could be, nvda is
after all a python 2 application, and it maybe a python3 one.

So if python2 can manage something like a screen reader or python itself
then a game should be no problem.

On 20/02/2018 12:00 a.m., Rynhardt Kruger wrote:
The BGT argument is one I have scene a few times on this list now. It
seams
what we need then is all the functions of BGT wrapped up in a nice
platform
independent library. It could be written in something like portable C,
with
all the platform dependent stuff in platform specific modules, and
bindings
for different languages generated with Swig or something. Swig is quite
good at generating bindings for many programming languages.

Note: I'm not volunteering to write it, just want to get the debate going.
Thoughts?

Rynhardt

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 5:11 PM, Damien Garwood
<damien@...
wrote:
Hi,
BGT might come with many conveniences. But it also lacks many others. It
also isn’t indicative of real world programming. Once you realise BGT’s
limitations and want to move away from it, it’s much harder to do so
because you end up relying on it. Especially if you’re a programming
newbie
and don’t have a clue how to write audio engines, let alone audio engines
that can play multiple file types, whether packed or on disk, whether
encrypted or open. Not to mention keyboard, mouse, joystick support,
screenreader and SAPI support, timers, pathfinders, combination
generators
and calendars. The way I see it, scripting with something like BGT is
like
having an overprotective clingy parent that just won’t let go, whereas
programming something like C++ or Python wants you to bend down and kiss
its furry rosy smelling derriere before you can get it to work.
Talking from experience here.
Cheers.
Damien.