Topics

Susan : Bedsbirds

Susan Young

Hello Bedsbirds

I love watching birds in and around Stevington where I live.

I sent information about a sighting to the RSPB and the BTO on 4th November and the RSPB came back to me, suggesting I saw a buzzard and if I am certain of what I saw to contact yourselves.

I am 99.99% certain I saw a White tailed Eagle….

Friday 3rd November 2017 at 7.30am I was driving south west out of Stevington parish up Silver Street and at the top of the hill (a view point which is very high) on the right, I saw a large bird which looked very much like a White-tailed Eagle on the stubble about 2metres away from the roadside. It was covering something, I guess prey, it looked up at the car and then to the left side so I saw its bright yellow bill with a large hook on the end in profile. The head neck and shoulders were greyish buff with darker streaks. I have a very clear picture of it in my memory. I now wish I had been able to take a photo of it!

I have looked through the RSPB hand book and believe my identification to be correct.

I am wondering if has escaped from captivity or maybe blown inland ? The RSPB say this bird has been spotted in Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Lincolnshire. We have had some strong north and east winds recently, it seems not impossible that I saw a rare visitor.

Has anyone else reported seeing this?

Kind regards,

Susan Young

Garden Design