Topics

Spotted Flycatcher update

Richard Bashford

Thanks for the tremendous response to the survey.  I’ve even had two people create maps for the survey – thanks Roger and Matt!

Apologies I’ve not had the chance to update the group or map, but aside from the many negative reports from churchyards – a few positives have been creeping in too.  I think we’ve had about 25-30 locations so far.

While churchyards have proved disappointing so far, it is possible birds have not yet arrived.  Matt Bruce heard the first of the year at the Lodge this weekend, and Tim Sharrock emailed to say he only just had them in his Blunham garden yesterday.  So worth checking those negative “traditional” sites again if you get the chance.  As is typical – a negative result can be followed by a positive and vice versa.  Eg recent negative result from Deepdale last week followed a sighting by John Day two weeks ago.

Young Robins are a bit of a pain when trying to hear calling birds – one of the three sites at Colmworth nearly escaped me as I thought I heard a flycatcher, then found a family party of Robins...before a SF landed on the telegraph wire over the road.  Its hard work but worth several visits and a bit of time – I usually search for about 20 minutes.  I’ve been doing complete Birdtrack lists while waiting.  Often these might accumulate 25-30 species from underwatched sites – adding breeding records might be new for the location.

The other thing I’d recommend is walking through villages with mature gardens.  Many of the sites I found in recent years are in villages I cycled through or covered for the last atlas.

Good luck and thanks again.

Richard

This email and any attachments may contain material that is confidential, subject to copyright and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the named recipient you must not use, disclose, reproduce, copy or distribute the contents of this communication. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and then delete this email from your system. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a registered charity in England and Wales no. 207076 and in Scotland no. SC037654.

Peter Smith

Well done Richard, I will keep looking.

Regards

Peter Smith

[...]