Topics

Spotted Flycatcher hunting

Richard Bashford

Hi all,

This month, fifteen years ago, I sent an email to this group suggesting we make a concerted effort to look for Spotted Flycatchers.  It resulted in a massive increase in records from an average of 15 pairs recorded annually, to 94 pairs.  Coincidentally, Steve tells me he has 15 records submitted so far this year.

I’ve copied the results from the 2002 survey below in the hope that local birderwatchers could check these sites.  Experience tells us that although often very vocal, they can be quiet, and one to three visits may be needed to a site to see them.  Or like Steve and I found yesterday, you park the car to walk to a traditional site and find one singing where you parked...and then don’t see any at the site you were going to.  Anyway, take a look at the table below and if you fancy visiting some locations, please take a look and email the group to let us know how you got on.  Last time we did this, we got a tremendous response so here’s hoping!

Thanks

Richard

The key is -

P=pair

S=single

N=none

A=absent in 2002 but present in 2001

site

gridref

type

Ampthill, Church Street

TL035376

Arlesey,Church End

TL192376

Astwick

TL213386

Barton le Clay churchyard

TL085304

Battlesden

SP959291

Bedford, Shakespear Road

TL040504

Biddenham Church End

TL014500

Biggleswade Churchyard

TL186446

Billington

SP940224

Bletsoe churchyard

TL023583

Blunham Churchyard

TL153511

Bolnhurst church

TL080588

Bromham Hall

TL016512

Bromham Lake LNR

SP998812

Bromham Mill picnic area

TL010509

Bromham Park

TL014512

Bromham Park Spinney

TL011510

Broom Hill House

TL169444

Caddington

Tl064198

Campton

TL130381

Cardington churchyard

TL086479

Carlton

SP961563

Chalgrave

TL008274

Chicksands

TL125389

Chicksands Priory

TL117394

Clapham churchyard

TL034525

Clifton churchyard

TL166393

Cockayne Hatley churchyard

TL256497

Colesden

TL124559

Colmworth churchyard

TL108586

Coopers Hill, Ampthill

TL027380

Cople churchyard

TL104485

Cranfield churchyard

SP955419

Cranfield University, Wharley End

SP940426

Deepdale

TL208495

Dunstable grove house

TL016220

Dunstable Priory

TL019218

Dunstable town park?

TL019222

Dunton churchyard

TL238441

East Hyde churchyard

TL127173

East Hyde Village

TL127127

Eaton Bray churchyard

SP969207

Eaton Bray vicarage

SP969206

P?

Edworth churchyard

TL222408

Eggington

SP956251

Eversholt Lake

SP980324

Eversholt, Church End

SP983324

Everton churchyard, Glebe House

TL203513

Eyeworth churchyard

TL249455

Felmersham

SP990579

Felmersham LNR

SP991585

Flitton

TL059358

Flitwick churchyard

TL029343

Flitwick Manor

TL029342

Flitwick Wood

TL022347

Great Barford churchyard

TL134517

Px2?

Harlington churchyard

TL038305

Harrold churchyard

SP953568

Px2?

Hatch

TL158478

Haynes Church End churchyard

TL081411

Heath & Reach

SP925277

Henlow churchyard

TL178389

Henlow Grange

TL183384

Hockliffe, Church End

SP965269

Houghton Conquest churchyard

TL043414

Houghton Hall

TL02g

Houghton Regis

TL018239

John O'Gaunt Golf course

TL210479

Px3

JTRS Garden

TL152509

Judith Gardens, Potton

TL227496

Kempston Church End cemetary

TL013478

Kemptson Church End

TL015480

Kensworth, Church End

TL031190

Px3

Keysoe churchyard

TL073624

Knotting church

Tl003635

Langford churchyard

TL185414

Leighton Buzzard

SP919249

Linslade

SP911294

Little Barford church

TL177570

Little Brickhill

SP910324

Little Staughton

TL108630

Lodge building

TL188478

Lodge garden/Statford Road

TL188477

Lodge Gatehouse

TL191485

Lower Gravenhurst

TL110352

Lower Sundon church

TL048268

Luton SE

TL102212

Luton SW

TL084210

Luton, St Marys

TL094212

Marsden Moretaine

SP995411

Maulden Wood

TL072387

Melchbourne church

TL029654

Meppershall

TL134360

Milton Bryan

SP971308

Milton Ernest churchyard

TL020560

Moggerhanger Churchyard

TL142493

Px2?

Moggerhanger Hospice

TL139488

Northill

TL149465

Oakley

TL010530

Odell

SP967580

Old Linslade

SP910269

Old Rectory, Eversholt

SP978332

Old Warden churchyard

TL136443

Pavenham

SP991560

Pertenhall churchyard

TL084654

Potton churchyard

TL227496

Potton Old Bedford Road

TL216494

Putnoe Wood

TL065525

Ravensden churchyard

TL078543

Reddings Wood, Ampthill

TL034396

Renhold churchyard

TL089529

Risley Churchyard

TL039631

River Lea area

Tl087233

Roxton Churchyard

TL153545

Salford churchyard

SP936391

Sandy churchyard

TL174491

Sandy Mill

TL170487

Sharnbrook 2

SP993597

per Gsand trust?

Sharnbrook churchyard

SP993596

Shefford

TL143391

Shelton Church

TL033688

Shillington

TL127340

Shuttleworth College

TL148443

Px2?

Silsoe Churchyard

TL082357

Slip End, Chilterns?

TL081187

Souldrop churchyard

SP985616

Southill churchyard

Tl146422

Southill Park

TL143419

Stagsden

SP982491

Stanbridge

SP965242

Stevington

SP990536

Stockwood Park, Luton

TL088196

Stopsley Vale Cemetary

TL013237

Stopsley, St Thomas's

TL012238

Strawberry Farm, Knotting

TL005627

?

Streatley churchyard

TL070286

Studham Parish Church

TL006160

Sutton churchyard

TL219475

Sutton road crossroads

TL228473

Swineshead church

TL058659

Swiss Garden

TL149447

Tempsford churchyard

TL162530

Tempsford Keir grounds

TL163531

Tempsford river

TL154525

Thurleigh churchyard

TL051584

Tilsworth

SP974242

Tottenhoe churchyard

SP988209

Turvey

SP940526

Twin Bridges, Blunham

TL156519

Upper Caldecote churchyard

TL167459

Upper Dean

TL046678

Px2

Upper Gravenhurst

TL112360

Upper Stondon

TL150355

Westoning churchyard

TL028328

Whipsnade Church

TL012180

Wilden churchyard

TL094552

Willington Churchyard

TL106498

Willington village

TL105501

Wilstead churchyard

TL063436

Woburn Cemetary

SP948333

Woburn Church

SP948328

Woburn Close

SP948329

Woburn Park

SP964328

Wootton

TL004451

Wrestlingworth churchyard

TL259474

Yelden church

TL011671

This email and any attachments may contain material that is confidential, subject to copyright and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the named recipient you must not use, disclose, reproduce, copy or distribute the contents of this communication. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and then delete this email from your system. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a registered charity in England and Wales no. 207076 and in Scotland no. SC037654.

Roy Dunham

Richard,
Ive checked clifton churchyard twice so far and henlow churchyard,grange area this am and around henlow bridge lakes.
No luck so far but then i cant hear them!
Roy.

On 1 Jun 2017 15:56, "Richard Bashford" <Richard.Bashford@...> wrote:

[...]

Robin Edwards

None at Willington Church although there hasn't been for a few years now. Also none that I have heard or seen in the village so far.

Regards
Robin

Sent from my iPhone

On 1 Jun 2017, at 15:55, Richard Bashford <Richard.Bashford@...> wrote:

[...]

James P

I've done Campton and Meppershall a couple of times now with no joy.

I'll check any others on here that come into my usual wanderings.

Jim

Stuart Warren

Richard

I've done Langford Churchyard and no joy I'm afraid.

Regards
Stuart

I've done Campton and Meppershall a couple of times now with no joy.

I'll check any others on here that come into my usual wanderings.

Jim

Rob Dazley

Hi all

I checked round four southern churchyards this morning with no success – Tilsworth, Eaton Bray, Totternhoe and Kensworth Church End all of which have hosted the species in the past

On the plus side there was a Tawny Owl calling at Eaton Bray

Cheers

Rob Dazley

[...]

Chicksands blank also but I've had them there for the past few years, so probably just a bit of patience required.

Jim

David Williams

Haven't spotted spotted flies in Bromham Park or Bromham Mill Picnic Area for about six years now, although before that they were in both at least two or three years running.

About that length of time since I last saw them at Stagsden churchyard, although I'm not there as often.

David Williams

On 1 June 2017 at 15:55, Richard Bashford <Richard.Bashford@...> wrote:

[...]

wendy housden

 I checked Harrold churchyard yesteryday none found
also the river for goosander no joy

Pip Housden

On 4 June 2017 at 22:33, David Williams <dpworganist@...> wrote:
[...]

Patrick (BT)

Dear Richard and all,

I last saw a lone Spotted Flycatcher in St Peters churchyard, Wrestlingworth, in 2008/9.

Prior to that that were seen each year and nested behind the wire protecting one of the church windows.

Indeed we regularly used to see a whole family of SFs in our garden which is about 50 metres from the church.

However at Water End in Wrestlingworth there was a breeding pair in the porch of a house from 2010 to 2013 but I have seen nothing of them since, despite monitoring the site closely each year. Even the SFs at the churchyard in nearby Cockayne Hatley seem to have gone (last seen 2012?). It’s sad but true.

Pat Humphrey

[...]

Mark Newman

Can't help noticing the majority of the sites are churchyards, any reason why?
Vegetation?

On Monday, June 5, 2017, Patrick (BT) <ppahumphrey@...> wrote:

[...]

It's a repeat of the 2002 sites which first and foremost focused on churchyards but also woodlands. See the report that year for details.

Richard

Sent from my iPhone

On 6 Jun 2017, at 02:30, Mark Newman <mark.madhatter600@...> wrote:

[...]

Matt Kirkland

Hi Richard, this map doesn’t have every location, but all those with birds marked present. Should help people plan trips. I think the two Stopsley links in the list have an error - as they appear in Houghton Regis?

All best
Matt

[...]

David Barnes

I checked All Saints Church at Church End, Kempston this morning with no luck. Will have another look in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Dave

daveodell@tiscali.co.uk

Used to look there 20 years ago,never did find any David.

Subj: Re: [bedsbirds] Spotted Flycatcher hunting

I checked All Saints Church at Church End, Kempston this morning with
no luck. Will have another look in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Dave

Roy Dunham

Hi all,
I checked southill churchyard,
                 Old warden churchyard
                Northill churchyard
               Cople    churchyard,
and cardington  churchyard all this am and drew a blank in all of them.
           Roy Dunham.

On 8 Jun 2017 07:21, "daveodell@... via Groups.Io" <daveodell=tiscali.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Used to look there 20 years ago,never did find any David.

Rob Dazley

And I have checked Streatley, Barton and Lower Sundon with negative results

Cheers

Rob

and cardington  churchyard all this am and drew a blank in all of them.

           Roy Dunham.

On 8 Jun 2017 07:21, "daveodell@... via Groups.Io" <daveodell=tiscali.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Used to look there 20 years ago,never did find any David.

Peter Smith

I have checked the churchyards at Eversholt, Milton Bryan and Cranfield all negative unfortunately.

The only Spotted Flycatchers I have seen this year were on Wednesday this week at Haddon Hall near Matlock in Derbyshire.

They were nesting in one of the large stone retaining walls in the gardens.

Regards

Peter Smith

PLEASE NOTE: from now on please use my new email address (petersmith3uk@...) for all correspondence, thank you.

Martin Green

Hi All,

It's looking pretty gloomy for Spotted Flycatchers in the County isn't it... I last saw one on the MVCP in 2005., which I think may have been the last year they bred onsite. It was probably the first "good" bird I photographed after deciding to try and photograph as many different birds in the park as I could. I think they are still seen almost annually on the MVCP, but only passing through these days. When I first moved to near the Stewartby Lake Gullwatch around 1980 we often saw them on the telegraph wires above my parents garden.

Sent from my iPhone