Topics

SFs

Richard Bashford

Hi all,

I thought some may not have received the below from the BTO.  I hope to update the records this week – thanks for all the information – shame nearly all of it is negative thus far.  I was quite pleased to find flycatchers at three sites at the weekend, only for lots of negative emails – it is still valuable information and please note, rechecking sites later this month is well worth it if the reporting rate peaks in mid June according to Birdtrack.

Focus on... Spotted Flycatchers

Spotted Flycatchers are one of the last migrants to arrive back into Britain and Ireland, with the reporting rate on BirdTrack peaking in mid June. The species has been undergoing a long-term decline since the 1970s, mainly caused by decreased survival. The largest declines have been in central and eastern England, though all areas have been affected.

Several Bird Clubs are making a special effort to keep tabs on this species at a local level. For example, the Cambridgeshire Bird Club is repeating its Spotted Flycatcher survey of the last two years. You can help by logging your Spotted Flycatcher sightings with breeding evidence into BirdTrack.

This email and any attachments may contain material that is confidential, subject to copyright and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the named recipient you must not use, disclose, reproduce, copy or distribute the contents of this communication. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and then delete this email from your system. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a registered charity in England and Wales no. 207076 and in Scotland no. SC037654.

Judith Knight

Thanks Richard - I received it in a slightly less interesting format!!
Judith