Topics

Possible Bedfordshire Ortolan Bunting per Birdguides ...

Martin Green
 

Hi All,

Apologies for the very late email but I've just noticed a report of a possible Ortolan Bunting in Bedfordshire on Birdguides. I'm not currently a subscriber so can't see any more details than that, does anyone have any more information...

M

Sent from my iPhone

Steve Blain
 

Yes indeed. I have been trying to gather expert opinion on a bird
which I recorded flying over my house late on Saturday evening. So
far, everyone is happy it's an Ortolan Bunting! I have put a short
clip up online here:
https://soundcloud.com/steve-blain/unknown-2257-2nd-september-2017

I have a slightly longer version which you can just about hear another
call type in which gives the record more weight. If you want to know
more about this stuff, and night flying Ortolans in particular there
are two excellent articles on the Sound Approach website here:
https://soundapproach.co.uk/category/night-flight-calls/

I have only been doing this stuff just a couple of weeks and I've had
Whimbrel twice, Common Sand twice, Green Sand, Moorhen, what may be a
Goldfinch and this Ortolan. Fascinating!

Steve

On 4 September 2017 at 01:07, Martin Green <martin@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Apologies for the very late email but I've just noticed a report of a possible Ortolan Bunting in Bedfordshire on Birdguides. I'm not currently a subscriber so can't see any more details than that, does anyone have any more information...

M

Sent from my iPhone




--
Steve Blain
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beds Bird Recorder
Bedfordshire Bird Club
http://www.bedsbirdclub.org.uk

Make your bird records go further for conservation; use www.birdtrack.net

Stuart Winter
 

Hi Steve, 

Think you are on to something. Besides the aural evidence which sounds good for OB, the sonogram you have produced mirrors those on xeon-canto for night fliers,
with its incline to 6k and sharp drop 4.5k.

See: 

S


On 4 Sep 2017, at 08:28, Steve Blain <recorder@...> wrote:

Yes indeed.  I have been trying to gather expert opinion on a bird
which I recorded flying over my house late on Saturday evening.  So
far, everyone is happy it's an Ortolan Bunting!  I have put a short
clip up online here:
https://soundcloud.com/steve-blain/unknown-2257-2nd-september-2017

I have a slightly longer version which you can just about hear another
call type in which gives the record more weight.  If you want to know
more about this stuff, and night flying Ortolans in particular there
are two excellent articles on the Sound Approach website here:
https://soundapproach.co.uk/category/night-flight-calls/

I have only been doing this stuff just a couple of weeks and I've had
Whimbrel twice, Common Sand twice, Green Sand, Moorhen, what may be a
Goldfinch and this Ortolan.  Fascinating!

Steve


On 4 September 2017 at 01:07, Martin Green <martin@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Apologies for the very late email but I've just noticed a report of a possible Ortolan Bunting in Bedfordshire on Birdguides. I'm not currently a subscriber so can't see any more details than that, does anyone have any more information...

M

Sent from my iPhone






--
Steve Blain
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beds Bird Recorder
Bedfordshire Bird Club
http://www.bedsbirdclub.org.uk

Make your bird records go further for conservation; use www.birdtrack.net



Martin Green
 

Hi All,

Thanks for all the public and person replies to my request for further information on this report. Sounds like a great way of adding to what we know about what is flying over Beds.  

Based on my knowledge on bird calls I can add that I'm confident it's not a Cuckoo and pretty sure it's not a Green Woodpecker :-)

M

Sent from my iPhone

On 4 Sep 2017, at 09:02, Stuart Winter <stuart.winter@...> wrote:

Hi Steve, 

Think you are on to something. Besides the aural evidence which sounds good for OB, the sonogram you have produced mirrors those on xeon-canto for night fliers,
with its incline to 6k and sharp drop 4.5k.

See: 

S


On 4 Sep 2017, at 08:28, Steve Blain <recorder@...> wrote:

Yes indeed.  I have been trying to gather expert opinion on a bird
which I recorded flying over my house late on Saturday evening.  So
far, everyone is happy it's an Ortolan Bunting!  I have put a short
clip up online here:
https://soundcloud.com/steve-blain/unknown-2257-2nd-september-2017

I have a slightly longer version which you can just about hear another
call type in which gives the record more weight.  If you want to know
more about this stuff, and night flying Ortolans in particular there
are two excellent articles on the Sound Approach website here:
https://soundapproach.co.uk/category/night-flight-calls/

I have only been doing this stuff just a couple of weeks and I've had
Whimbrel twice, Common Sand twice, Green Sand, Moorhen, what may be a
Goldfinch and this Ortolan.  Fascinating!

Steve


On 4 September 2017 at 01:07, Martin Green <martin@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Apologies for the very late email but I've just noticed a report of a possible Ortolan Bunting in Bedfordshire on Birdguides. I'm not currently a subscriber so can't see any more details than that, does anyone have any more information...

M

Sent from my iPhone






--
Steve Blain
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beds Bird Recorder
Bedfordshire Bird Club
http://www.bedsbirdclub.org.uk

Make your bird records go further for conservation; use www.birdtrack.net