Topics

Luton Peregrine #bedsbirds

David Gowing

My first visit this to view the peregrines. At 9am this morning  one bird was sitting on the top ledge / window for about 30mins then flew when some pigeons came close then returned to a different perch to settle. Provided us with some great views.

Scott Stalham

That was the male bird at that time,  top ledge.

Scott

On 9 Feb 2018 16:10, "David Gowing via Groups.Io" <djgcanary=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
My first visit this to view the peregrines. At 9am this morning  one bird was sitting on the top ledge / window for about 30mins then flew when some pigeons came close then returned to a different perch to settle. Provided us with some great views.

CliveH

Good to see a good close up of the Male , and good so many are enjoying the pair.

Rich

Yes, a few colleagues who were initially completely disinterested now keep a look out. I think they're a real plus for Luton and should have a wider audience. The key will be if they breed then views to impatient non-birders will be guaranteed.  Some towns have really made a feature of their urban peregrines. Gotta be good for all. Love the pictures by the way. Most of my views are through an ancient and wobbly town hall window so, despite leaning out to clean it for the first time in how many years, my views aren't usually as crystal clear.

Rich

Forgot to say - could the bird club send a press release to the local news about the birds? There are some excellent photos about to illustrate it.

Scott Stalham

I worry about pigeon fanciers.

On 10 Feb 2018 07:49, "Rich via Groups.Io" <richjaylu=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:
Forgot to say - could the bird club send a press release to the local news about the birds? There are some excellent photos about to illustrate it.

David Gowing

Both birds sitting high up on telecoms building this morning, on nearby ledges.

Scott Stalham

No sign of either birds currently,  will update.

On 11 Feb 2018 08:56, "David Gowing via Groups.Io" <djgcanary=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Both birds sitting high up on telecoms building this morning, on nearby ledges.

David Gowing

Both were there at 8am to about 9.45am when one flew away followed by the other a little while later.

Scott Stalham

Upstairs in McDonalds offers great views of front & side of the TE building whilst you get a hot drink.

On 11 Feb 2018 11:35, "David Gowing via Groups.Io" <djgcanary=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Both were there at 8am to about 9.45am when one flew away followed by the other a little while later.

Scott Stalham

Edited

No sign of birds at 12.10pm,  will pop back later to look.

On 11 Feb 2018 11:45, "Scott Stalham via Groups.Io" <stalhamscott=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Upstairs in McDonalds offers great views of front & side of the TE building whilst you get a hot drink.

On 11 Feb 2018 11:35, "David Gowing via Groups.Io" <djgcanary=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Both were there at 8am to about 9.45am when one flew away followed by the other a little while later.

Scott Stalham

Back at 3pm briefly for a quick look,  both birds present.

On 11 Feb 2018 12:14, "Scott Stalham via Groups.Io" <stalhamscott=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

No sign of birds at 12.10pm,  will pop back later to look.

On 11 Feb 2018 11:45, "Scott Stalham via Groups.Io" <stalhamscott=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Upstairs in McDonalds offers great views of front & side of the TE building whilst you get a hot drink.

On 11 Feb 2018 11:35, "David Gowing via Groups.Io" <djgcanary=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Both were there at 8am to about 9.45am when one flew away followed by the other a little while later.

David Gowing

Record photo of both birds from this morning.

Scott Stalham

I'm wondering if any of the Luton Peregrine are from an earlier brood from MK Dons stadium?

On 11 Feb 2018 16:50, "David Gowing via Groups.Io" <djgcanary=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Record photo of both birds from this morning.

CliveH

Hi Scott ,
It's difficult to say but we have had Peregrines in the general area for years, I have pics of birds on that building in Luton from approx 10 years ago, also breeding attempts not that far away from 2007 onwards for a few years , but chicks didn't survive .
The other pair i watch are still present so fingers crossed one pair of the two will be successful .