From: bedsbirds@groups.io [mailto:bedsbirds@groups.io] On Behalf Of Roger Hicks
Sent: 23 May 2017 10:12
To: bedsbirds@groups.io
Subject: [bedsbirds] BTO House Martin Nest Study

BTO House Martin Nest Study

In 2017, the BTO are repeating last year's House Martin Nest Study. The survey methodology is the same as last year although there have been a small number of changes to the online system which is now live (https://app.bto.org/houma-nests/login.jsp). Survey Instructions and forms can be downloaded from the BTO resources page (https://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/house-martin-survey/house-martin-nest-study-2016/resources). The BTO would like to compare records from the same nests in 2016 and 2017 so hope that those who took part last year will participate again this year, but would also welcome records from extra sites. It is hoped that the extra detail will help to identify why House Martins are in trouble in some areas.

You may select your  own study site and are asked to observe one or more nests regularly throughout the breeding season, i.e. from April to September (and possibly into early October). Ideally, you need to be able to observer the nests for just a few minutes once a week and record any activity seen. If you are able to watch the nest more frequently this will enable more accurate estimates of egg-laying dates and how long it takes young birds to fledge.

Roger Hicks

BTO Regional Representative for Bedfordshire

Roger Hicks

Hi Pat,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

The BTO House Martin nest study is continuing this year with improved software, so they say. The methodology is  much as last year. It is probably a bit late to start participating in that this year, but please submit your records to the bird club for inclusion in the bird report (do you use BirdTrack?)

I am not sure what you mean by 'next steps'.

My local House Martins in Henlow seem to be having a good year, although they were a bit late getting started. One pair rebuilt last year's nest, suffered another collapse about the time the first brood were due to hatch. I'm hoping they got away alright and think they did as young birds seemed to roost in the broken nest. The nest has since been rebuilt and has a 'bottle-neck' entrance now, like a Red-rumped Swallow or Fairy Martin nest.

cheers

Roger

Dear Roger, I have been observing the House Martin colony at the Manor Farm House, next to Mole Hill barns in the Parish of Wrestlingworth & Cockayne Hatley, since 2010. I monitored it in detail last year when it was doing well but gave up trying to enter my data online. This year I have been too busy but visited it today and was amazed by the number of birds circling the house. The bottom line is that I counted 19 nests (of 23 ) which contained chicks that were being fed by adults. Of the 23 nests, 7 were concrete and 16 freshly made or renovated mud nests. By contrast the other colony at the other end of the Parish in Cockayne Hatley has not expanded this year, counting only three nests (mud) which had chicks that were being fed and most the old nests have fallen down.

Perhaps we could discuss next steps.

Best wishes,

Pat

[...]

Here is summary that Peter Smith puts into Birdtrack for the colony on his house:

Of our 10 artificial nest boxes 9 were occupied this year all pairs double brooded and produced around 40 fledged young.2016 was the most successful year for at least 5 years.

Something similar for the Mole Hill Barns (and Cockayne Hatley birds) would be good, so that their fortunes can be tracked from year to year

Thanks for the 'phone call

[...]

Peter Smith

Roger

I will update you for 2017 at the end of the breeding season.

At present we have 11 out of 14 artificial boxes occupied, we put 4 more boxes up in the winter.

At present we have 11 out of 14 artificial boxes occupied, we put 4 more boxes up in the winter.

Plenty of activity with second broods occupying several nests.

Regards

Peter Smith