Topics

Z-Machine (Infocom) Adventure Game Interpreter - BBCSDL version

Jon Welch

Back in 2008, I wrote a Z-Machine interpreter in ARM BBC Basic running on an Arm Second Processor via the BeebEm emulator. This program allowed you to run the old Infocom adventure games, such as Zork and Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. You can read more about this here and see a screen shot here.

I recently dug out the old source code and with only a single line code change, it still works using BBCSDL on the usual platforms (it will probably work with BB4W but I don't have a full license to run it). The code is written in ARM BBC Basic so uses line numbers etc so please no comments about how bad the code looks in this modern age.

If anyone is interested, you can download the source code and a couple of adventure games to get you started here.

When running the program, enter either ZORK1 or HITCHHI when prompted, to try the games. Other games are available on the net via the usual search engines.

Hope someone finds the program useful.

Jon

Jon Welch

Any command you type into the game is interpreted by the game itself so I have no control over what help is given when trying the HELP command. You can try the usual commands such as LOOK, TAKE, INVENTORY, OPEN, N/S/E/W etc. Part of the fun of adventure games is working out what commands are in fact available 😊

Or just type ZORK MANUAL into google and the first link is the required manual.

Jon

I recently dug out the old source code and with only a single line
code change, it still works using BBCSDL on the usual platforms (it
will probably work with BB4W but I don't have a full license to run
it). The code is written in ARM BBC Basic so uses line numbers etc so
please no comments about how bad the code looks in this modern age.
Well, it works on BB4W, though I don't know what to do with it. I entered ? and HELP and it said "there's no verb", so entered "give me help" and got "you don't have the number", so on a limb I entered "tell me what to do" and it told me to read the manual!

--
J.G.Harston - jgh@... - mdfs.net/jgh

J.G.Harston