Topics

Website Update

Just a quick message to say that after 4 years I've finally added 3 new programs to my website.

www.tonytooth.co.uk

I would have added more, but I'm having to do everything by directly writing HTML, since Windows 10 will not let me run my usual website design software any more.

Richard Russell

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 11:35 am, Tony Tooth wrote:
Just a quick message to say that after 4 years I've finally added 3 new programs to my website.
Thanks for the update, it's nice to see some new programs from you - they are always interesting.  I tried to run Minesweeper but unfortunately my laptop screen reports as 1280 x 720 pixels (it's actually 1920 x 1080 but High DPI Scaling automatically cuts in) which seems to be too small for the program.

Incidentally your website refers to v6.10a as being the "latest revision" of BB4W when in fact that's v6.11a.  v6.10a (which I'd rather forget ever existed!) is the one with the terrible and unforgiveable *HARDCOPY bug that has persuaded me that I must never again risk making changes because my mental faculties simply aren't up to it.  :-(

Richard.

Hi Richard - I'll see what I can do about the Minesweeper program. Andrew Cool is having issues with it too.

The number of visitors to my website had declined dramatically, so although of course I continue to write programs, I stopped bothering with updating the website. However - the number of visitors seems to have resurrected somewhat over the past year for whatever reason.

Richard Russell

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 02:14 pm, Tony Tooth wrote:
However - the number of visitors seems to have resurrected somewhat over the past year for whatever reason.
I've no idea whether it is related, but in that timescale I have been aggressively promoting BBC BASIC on Facebook, including by means of sponsored (i.e. paid for) posts.  The 'younger generation' (including those being taught BBC BASIC in schools - yes there really are some!) are more attracted to modern social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter than to old-fashioned discussion groups like this one (and the forum) and frankly it's that user base that I want to encourage rather than the 'old guard'.  There's also more interest in platforms like Android there, and obviously it's BBCSDL that I am concentrating on now (not that BB4W is obsolete, but it isn't being developed).

Richard.