Topics

Wake on LAN (WoL)

Storer, Darren

​Hi,

Has anyone implemented Wake on LAN (WoL) in BB4W? I'm looking for a WoL example to integrate with a program to control a Sony Bravia TV via the Simple IP protocol.

Thanks in advance for any pointers...

Darren

Richard Russell

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 07:03 pm, Storer, Darren wrote:
Has anyone implemented Wake on LAN (WoL) in BB4W?
Do you mean that the BB4W program will be sending the wake packet, or that it runs on the PC that's being woken?

Richard.

Storer, Darren

Hi Richard,

The BB4W program will be sending the WoL packet. All the other Sony Bravia TV controls are available via the Simple IP protocol (including power off); only power on requires WoL.

Thanks

Darren

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 02:37 am, Storer, Darren wrote:
The BB4W program will be sending the WoL packet.
As far as I'm aware it can be a normal broadcast UDP packet that you can send from BB4W straightforwardly.  Although there isn't specific support for UDP in socklib.bbc it's not difficult to do in conjunction with some direct API calls.  The packet format is six &FF bytes followed by 16 repetitions of the Mac address of the device to be woken (102 bytes in all) - or anything containing this sequence.

A user has submitted a patch for adding UDP support to socklib but unfortunately the interface he has adopted is not compatible with SDL_net.  Since  BB4W and BBCSDL currently have compatible versions of socklib I consider it to be very important that any UDP extension also be provided in a compatible way on both platforms.  That will involve looking at Windows' and SDL_net's respective implementations of UDP and working out an interface that can be supported on both.  If anybody is able to help with that I would be very grateful.

Richard.