Topics

v1.08a

I have thought long and hard before posting this as it shows my ignorance of some pretty basic concepts.
However, in order to continue writing programs, I really would appreciate some input. . .
I actually took many months of toil to simply manage to be able to transfer SDL programs written on PC to my android phone.
It took so long, I have no clue how I actually managed it in the end but it did eventually work and I have a few programs now working on my phone.
Now, I tried to incorporate today's update to v1,08a.  I eventually managed to get it on my PC after a struggle
I cannot see how to get the new version on my phone..
I know it's easy for computer literate folk but I am not such.
I have no clue what to do with APK file.  I cam "open" it with Notepad which is obviously of no use but don't see what I can else do with it.
I copied it through USB cable to "Download" in android phone.  (I see  BBCBasic-1.apk, BBCBasic-2.apk,  BBCBasic-3.apk from my previous attempts and today's BBCBasic (2).apk.  I also copied it to the file folder where my working programs are stored.
When I tap the BBC Basic icon, v1.07a still comes up.
Any help, please.
Whilst I am displaying my lack of ability, I throw these in for good measure. ..
When I compiled a program a few weeks ago, I obtained a zip file in "exe" folder but did not manage to get it working.
Now, when I try to compile, I get "Internal error 254" message.
My programs are really good but, as far as "real" computing goes, I have little clue.  Any help appreciated with thanks.

Hi
You are going about it all wrong. You don't need to use a usb transfer.

On your android device, go to www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcsdl.  Scroll down and you will find a list out install links for different platforms. Click on the Android Edition and download it. Click on the downloaded file. You will need to temporarily allow the installation from external programs. Don't worry, you will be guided through this.  You will probably be asked how you want to install the apk.  Choose Package Installer. This will install the apk for you together with the BBCBasicSDL launch icon.

You will then be able to write, edit and save your programs using the inbuilt editor.

RNBW

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, at 18:41, The Famous Cash via Groups.Io wrote:

I have no clue what to do with APK file. I cam "open" it with Notepad
which is obviously of no use but don't see what I can else do with it.
I copied it through USB cable to "Download" in android phone. (I see
BBCBasic-1.apk, BBCBasic-2.apk, BBCBasic-3.apk from my previous
attempts and today's BBCBasic (2).apk. I also copied it to the file
folder where my working programs are stored.
It is the installer for BBC Basic. You need to navigate to it using your
phone's file manager and then run it. I suppose you really also need
to know where the current version's .apk file is, in case you want to
return to using it, if the newest version doesn't work for you.

Surely that is what you will have done to install the previous version?

Why did you not keep notes on how you installed that?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

Many thanks for your help.

I thought I had been navigating (through my PC with phone on USB) but Ray Would has pointed out I should have Downloaded using my phone.

Sounds obvious now but I was stuck in trying to achieve that by USB.  (I did get it to work eventually before as I said).

On the point of note-keeping.  I normally do know what stage I am at but, having tried every possible combination I could think of,

I was just continually banging my head on the wall for moths.  Literally hundreds of attempts.

Anyway, like most of my “insurmountable” tasks, the elementary use of the actual phone for the download solbved the problem.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Bob.

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, at 18:41, The Famous Cash via Groups.Io wrote:

> I have no clue what to do with APK file. I cam "open" it with Notepad

> which is obviously of no use but don't see what I can else do with it.

> I copied it through USB cable to "Download" in android phone. (I see

> BBCBasic-1.apk, BBCBasic-2.apk, BBCBasic-3.apk from my previous

> attempts and today's BBCBasic (2).apk. I also copied it to the file

> folder where my working programs are stored.

It is the installer for BBC Basic.  You need to navigate to it using your

phone's file manager and then run it.   I suppose you really also need

to know where the current version's .apk file is, in case you want to

return to using it, if the newest version doesn't work for you.

Surely that is what you will have done to install the previous version?

Why did you not keep notes on how you installed that?

--

Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

Thank you for your help.

I was so convinced at the very start the program would have to be generated by my PC, I never contemplated the obvious download using the actual phone!

Of course it was easy now it was spelled out to me.  Thank you so much.

Out of interest, I was surprised I can run quite substantial programs on my phone but I would never be comfortabletrying to write or edit on the phone.

It is simple to do on PC then simply transfer by USB.

Regards,

Bob.

[...]

I frequently write on my PC and transfer to my Android device. Have you tried using wireless transfer rather than USB, or using Dropbox as a means of transfer.  The latter is useful in that you can provide a link to a document or program to make it accessible to others.

RNBW

On 1 Dec 2019, at 11:45 pm, "The Famous Cash via Groups.Io" <blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io target=_blank>thefamouscash=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I’m still getting over the shock and frustration I spent months trying to use my PC to install to the phone!

I did get it working somehow though. . .

I am pleased with many of the programs I have written.  Remember, I know zero about “proper” programming and have sold quite a number to varied businesses.

When it comes to using wireless transfer, I would not know where to begin.  I daresay it’s easy but it’s beyond me at the moment.

I remember emailing Richard many years ago asking if it would ever be possible to program a phone. . . I reckoned there was a great commercial opportunity there.

I am now beginning to explore the potential.

I know I tried to compile one of my programs (SDL PC) and ended up with zipped files in the “exe” folder.  Not a clue what to do with them.

Now when I try to compile, I get “Internal error 254”.

I’ll get there eventually as always but it sure is frustrating when I spend so long trying to solve elementary problems which computer-literate folk would laugh at.

I really appreciate your guidance earlier, even though it makes me feel like a dimwit.

Regards,

Bob.

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, at 23:44, The Famous Cash via Groups.Io wrote:

I thought I had been navigating (through my PC with phone on USB) but
Ray Would has pointed out I should have Downloaded using my phone.
You're misunderstanding. When your phone is connected to a PC via a USB
cable the PC just sees it as a USB-attached disk, so you can use the PC to
put files on parts of the phone's disk-like storage.

You can also transfer files to the phone's storage by using the phone to
download the file, or wifi or (as someone-else suggests a cloud-storage
app like Dropbox) etc.

The end result is the .apk file is sitting somewhere on your phone.

You then use the phone's OS to navigate to (ie find) the .apk file, and you
run it. That's to say, it is run ON THE PHONE. Android opens the .apk
file, seeks your permission (maybe*) to install whatever is inside the .apk
file, and sets up the new application.

* - in some versions of Android you have to alter something in Settings
to allow .apk files not-downloaded-by-the-phone (or maybe, not from
the Android App store) to be run like this, but in others I think you are
asked as Android starts to run the file

You can't run an .apk file /on a PC/ expecting it to install an app on a phone.

Anyway, like most of my “insurmountable” tasks, the elementary use of
the actual phone for the download solbved the problem.
If that's so it implies that as soon as your phone downloads an .apk file
it automatically then runs the just-downloaded .apk file. Arguably that
is dangerous as it means if you unknowingly download an .apk file it will
start to install without you necessarily realising.

But .apk files that arive on a phone some other way need to be found and
run manually.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

Thank you for your patience and explanations.

With no real computer knowledge, I usually achieve an end result by simply

trying l(sometimes literally) hundreds of permutations. I do generally attain my goal but

trained programmers would be tearing their hair out. Hence, not always able to replicate

a result due to lack of notes.

Anyway, I have taken your comments on board and am grateful for your kind assistance.

At least, the elementary action of installing direct to my phone won’t ever be forgotten!

Regards,

Bob.