Topics

Upgrade BBC Windows #upgrade

I have a problem to upgrade my BBC for Windows. I closed all virus scanners, reinstalled BBC but without any success.
First I got the message
and then

I have a full version and it workes very well.
What to do?

Best regards from Germany
Horst Dieter

Richard Russell

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 04:08 am, Horst Dieter wrote:
First I got the message
and then
Blank and blank?  Not terribly helpful!

If the upgrade fails, it should display a message box saying "Unable to perform upgrade (n)" where the number in parentheses indicates the cause of the failure as follows:

  1. The key 'HKCU\Software\R T Russell\BBC BASIC for Windows' is missing from the registry.
  2. The registry sub-key 'Serial' is missing, this is likely to mean that the trial version is installed rather than the full version.
  3. The Serial Number / Registration Key is not valid.  This should not be possible if the full version runs.
  4. The run-time engine BBCWRUN6.EXE cannot be opened; it has possibly been deleted or quarantined by a virus scanner.
  5. The run-time engine BBCWRUN6.EXE cannot be read; the file is perhaps empty or truncated.
  6. The run-time engine BBCWRUN.EXE appears to be corrupted.
  7. The upgrade program UPGRADE.EXE itself cannot be opened, possibly it has been deleted or quarantined.
  8. The file BBCWIN.NEW cannot be created; this may mean you are not running 'as administrator'.
  9. The file BBCWRUN.NEW cannot be created; this may mean you are not running 'as administrator'.
I have not published this list before on the grounds that it provides information that may be useful to a hacker.  Please do not distribute or publish it outside this forum.

Richard.

Thank you Richard,

the return code is 2. How do I see that the trial version is installed?

Horst

Am 06.10.2017 um 13:49 schrieb Richard Russell:
[...]

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

SBL Büro- und Industriebedarf
Katharina Lehra
Maschweg 36
32479 Hille

Telefon: 05734/512036
Fax:   05734/6377
Email: SBL@...
Steuernummer: 335/5984/6288
Finanzamt Minden

Richard Russell

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 12:07 pm, Horst Dieter wrote:
the return code is 2. How do I see that the trial version is installed?
It's OK to have both trial (free) and full (paid for) versions installed: I used to do that - with two different desktop shortcuts - so that I could easily test programs with either of them.  If you reinstall the full version it will create the registry entry that seems to be missing.

What I can't understand, however, is that without the Serial Number being present in the registry the full version should not run, yet you said it was running OK.  Something doesn't add up.

Richard.

What is the different between full version and trial ? With my version (6.02 a) I can compile my basic programs.

Horst

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 03:11 am, Horst Dieter wrote:
What is the different between full version and trial ? With my version (6.02 a) I can compile my basic programs.
That and the memory limit - in the trial version only a maximum of 32 Kbytes are available for the BASIC program, heap and stack (compared with 512 Mbytes in the full version).

I can think of only one possible explanation for the strange symptom you are experiencing.  Both the BB4W IDE and the Upgrade program first check for the Serial Number in HKLM (HKEY_Local_Machine) and if not found there they check for it in HKCU (HKEY_Current_User).  However they perform this two-stage check slightly differently: the Upgrade program only checks in HKCU if the HKLM key is missing, but the BB4W IDE will check in HKCU additionally if the HKLM key is present but empty.

So, although this is unlikely, if your machine has a valid Serial Number in HKCU but an empty value in HKLM it could result in what you are reporting.  I don't know how that situation could arise, but I suggest you check the registry contents yourself to see if that is indeed the case.  Re-installing the full version ought to update the registry anyway, but  believe you have already tried that?

Richard.