Topics

Testers wanted

mclout@...

I will be installing and working on this this weekend.  Just did not have time to get to it.  I too think this is a very valuable project and tool for the community. 

Richard Russell

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 04:29 pm, Paul Marshall wrote:
Surely the idea of having feedback from testers was to iron out those difficulties so that others do not get stuck
Of course that's true to a degree, and to be fair I think the problems you had have largely been ameliorated by adding warnings to the program.  But the other person who provided feedback had much more difficulty than you did, even to the extent of not understanding how the Embedded Files feature works (despite it working in an identical fashion to BB4W, and even presenting an identical UI).  I really worry that if somebody so experienced struggled with it, releasing it to the 'wide world' would be unwise.

Perhaps (and of course I'm joking, but it's tempting!!) the program, when first run, should present the user with a multiple-choice questionnaire to assess his level of knowledge.  It could ask questions like 'What does the REM!Fast compiler directive do, and when mustn't you use it?".  That would sort the wheat from the chaff!  :-)

Richard.

John Nolan

Dear Richard and Group,

I remain very interested in bb4w and also for iOS.

You, or at least the group, don't hear from me, because I am more overloaded than usual, due to an increasingly inform wife.

But, I would love to be able to do BBC Basic on an iPad, and give you feedback, as and when.

For your interest, I have a great interest in energy saving and heating and heat pumps.

Also, at 81, I am exploring the possibility of starting a blog. I may have a section where there are stand alone versions of programs compiled using bb4w. But would this infringe any of your copyrights  ?

All the best for you efforts.

John Nolan 

From: bb4w@groups.io <bb4w@groups.io> on behalf of Richard Russell <news@...>
Sent: 02 March 2018 00:36
To: bb4w@groups.io
Subject: Re: [bb4w] Testers wanted

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 04:29 pm, Paul Marshall wrote:
I dont want to lose this tool just because you cant be bothered!   
I don't understand how you can "lose" what you've already got.  It's not as though the version currently available for download is a time-limited trial version, or restricted in some other way; it's fully functional and there's nothing to stop you continuing to use it.

Richard.

Richard Russell

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 04:23 am, John Nolan wrote:
I would love to be able to do BBC Basic on an iPad, and give you feedback, as and when.
I'm still investigating what I can do that doesn't fall foul of Apple's very restrictive conditions.  They allow time-limited beta testing, so long as the testers are individually appointed and registered, but there are dire warnings of the consequences if one tries to use it as a way of bypassing the app store.

> I may have a section where there are stand alone versions of programs
> compiled using bb4w. But would this infringe any of your copyrights  ?

No; there's not a lot of point in being able to 'compile' a program to a standalone executable if you're not then free to distribute it any way you wish!

Richard.

Paul Marshall

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 04:36 pm, Richard Russell wrote:
It's not as though the version currently available for download is a time-limited trial version,
Ok. I would be reluctant using it if you yourself had 'gone off' the project.
I have used it once more without the slightest hitch.   For me a big success. Thanks.