Topics

Shift and CTRL codes executed by a program?

Richard,

Here I really show my ignorance, I only write simple programs to amuse myself.

I have ‘Verbose’ text to speech on my computer. I can activate it to read the clipboard with Ctrl+shift+v

I have your snippet for putting text onto the clipboard, but is it possible to get a program to execute the above shortcut combination so that the program will get that stored text to be spoken by Verbose?

... Leslie

Norman Vingoe

O don't know the detail, but I would imagine that's a job for OSCLI.
The Verbose hotkey is CTRL-SHIFT-V, if that combination 'starts' Verbose then also typing at the Command prompt (or in a 'run' dialogue), the filename of the Verbose executable might have the same effect.
Eg. In BBC Basic, OSCLI("verbose.exe")
It may be necessary to include the full path to the command.

There may be a better way to do it.

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 12:23 pm, Leslie Baker wrote:
is it possible to get a program to execute the above shortcut combination so that the program will get that stored text to be spoken by Verbose?
I found this comment at the NCH website: "The voice synthesis in Verbose is handled by the SAPI voices installed".  If that's the case, can't you achieve the results you want by bypassing Verbose completely and simply adapting the SPEAK.BBC example program supplied with BB4W?  You may need to set various SAPI 5 parameters to match how Verbose sounds (voice, speed, pitch etc.) - there is more information at the BB4W Wiki - but it is likely to be a lot easier than attempting to interface with Verbose directly.

Richard.

Thank you Richard, yes speak.bbc is ok. I tried to run it previously but it couldn’t find comliba. I had it in a backup folder and having copied it across it now speaks acceptably. I don’t do too much in depth programming but have a few nice compiled programs I am quite pleased with. I thank you and the others in the group for your hard work, and you Richard for making this version of bbc basic available to us. I used to love my model 7 beeeb, but this machine is like lightening in comparison, and I have 16gbytes of memory and several terrabytes of storage space so a little different from 32k at 1 mhz ha ha

Regards … Leslie

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 02:05 pm, Leslie Baker wrote:
I tried to run it previously but it couldn’t find comliba. I had it in a backup folder
That's rather worrying.  COMLIBA is a standard BB4W library, supplied with the application and installed automatically.  For it to 'disappear', especially from the protected LIB folder in which it lives, should be a cause of concern.  You could, of course, change the reference in SPEAK.BBC from COMLIBA to COMLIB (the only difference between them is that COMLIBA has been crunched to make it smaller - something that is in any case irrelevant now so much more memory is available in the trial version) but it shouldn't be necessary.

In the future, if you ever find that a supplied library is missing you can always restore it by downloading and installing upgrade.exe from the website (even if the BB4W version is unchanged it will replace any missing support files) but that doesn't diminish my puzzlement that it should have disappeared in the first place.   I wonder if it could be the action of an over-zealous anti-virus program.

I thank you and the others in the group for your hard work, and you Richard for making this version of bbc basic available to us.
I must say I have little residual interest in BB4W; it's no longer being developed and it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) require support from me because of the wealth of information accumulated in the manual, Wiki, forums etc. over the last 16-years-plus.  It's the cross-platform editions and, latterly, the experimental 64-bit version, that I am preoccupied with.   I wish a few more people would get actively involved with them.

Unfortunately I cannot offer you a Text-To-Speech solution for BBCSDL, it's not something that SDL 2.0 provides any support for.

Richard.