Topics

Resignations

Richard Russell

There has been a veritable flood of resignations from this group recently, two today alone.  They seem to peak following every post from me, which makes me rather paranoid!  Can anybody suggest why this is happening?  Even if members find the bulk of posts uninteresting or irrelevant, why do they choose to resign rather than changing their email delivery settings to 'special notices only', for example?  Does this portend the death throes of BBC BASIC?

Richard.

Gordon

I will not be one of those resigning. The group and indeed BBC Basic is too important to me and I suspect there are many more like me. I have been using basic in some form or another for 40+ years and now want to pick it up again and learn how to make use of much more of it than I have so far. I can't do that without this group and will continue to support it as long as it exists. 

Daniel Bingamon

I have no idea what it is.
Daniel Bingamon

On 4/27/2017 2:34 PM, Richard Russell wrote:

There has been a veritable flood of resignations from this group recently, two today alone.  They seem to peak following every post from me, which makes me rather paranoid!  Can anybody suggest why this is happening?  Even if members find the bulk of posts uninteresting or irrelevant, why do they choose to resign rather than changing their email delivery settings to 'special notices only', for example?  Does this portend the death throes of BBC BASIC?

Richard.

No idea!
I myself continue to like and work fine with BBC.

Salomon

2017-04-27 20:34 GMT+02:00 Richard Russell <news@...>:

Richard.

Dave Sergeant

Richard
Are you sure it is people deliberately resigning? People leave for all
sorts of reasons and in general on the groups I run it is not something
I worry about. But there does seem to be an issue with groups.io where
subscribers are removed by the system.

I have just moved one of my amateur radio groups over to groups.io from
Yahoogroups (considered a very positive move by most of our members.
However we are getting a spate of Yahoo mail subscribers leaving with
the notification "...has been unsubscribed from your group
xxxx@groups.io because they marked a message as spam." It seems if they
deliberately or accidentally move a message in their Yahoo webmail to
their spam folder, effectively marking it as a spam mail, Yahoo
automatically sends an email back to groups.io to unsubscribe them
which groups.io has to obey. Trying to find more details, but such an
unsubscribe might explain some of yours.

I don't use BB4W that much but I enjoy reading this list and you have
my full support.

Dave

On 27 Apr 2017 at 11:34, Richard Russell wrote:

There has been a veritable flood of resignations from this group
recently, two today alone.  They seem to peak following every post from
me, which makes me rather paranoid!  Can anybody suggest why this is
happening?  Even if members find the bulk of posts uninteresting or
irrelevant, why do they choose to resign rather than changing their
email delivery settings to 'special notices only', for example?  Does
this portend the death throes of BBC BASIC?

Richard.

http://davesergeant.com

Rob O'Donnell

On 28 April 2017 at 06:57, Dave Sergeant <dave@...> wrote:
I have just moved one of my amateur radio groups over to groups.io from
Yahoogroups (considered a very positive move by most of our members.
However we are getting a spate of Yahoo mail subscribers leaving with
the notification "...has been unsubscribed from your group
xxxx@groups.io because they marked a message as spam." It seems if they
deliberately or accidentally move a message in their Yahoo webmail to
their spam folder, effectively marking it as a spam mail, Yahoo
automatically sends an email back to groups.io to unsubscribe them
which groups.io has to obey. Trying to find more details, but such an

GMail does the same thing - mark a message as spam, and it offers to send an unsubscribe request, if it is from a mailing list.

Do not read anything personal into it.  Some people simply do not understand the often complicated interactions between email service providers and just want to stop the emails and see the "Spam" button as the easiest way.   Maybe they just get too many.   Maybe they just want to read it "on the web" as you do.  Or maybe they have ISP based email addresses, have changed ISP and the mails are simply bouncing, and groups.io is removing them automatically.

Rob

Richard Russell

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:57 pm, Dave Sergeant wrote:
Trying to find more details, but such an

That's interesting (and rather worrying).  In future I'll check the wording of the messages more carefully to see if the cause is apparent.  I do know that in one case it was indeed a deliberate resignation - and on being reminded that they could have changed their email delivery settings the member in question has since re-joined!

I liked the facility offered by Yahoo! Groups of sending an automatic message, of my choosing, to anybody who resigned.  I haven't found that option at groups.io, do you happen to know whether it exists (perhaps only with a paid-for subscription)?

Richard.

Dave Sergeant

Admin/settings/member notices/new notice - select 'goodbye message'

Still learning about groups.io, there is a lot which is not mentioned
in their website help, rather more if you join their beta@ support
group.

This is getting way off topic for the general list...

Dave

On 28 Apr 2017 at 2:01, Richard Russell wrote:

I liked the facility offered by Yahoo! Groups of sending an automatic
message, of my choosing, to anybody who resigned.  I haven't found that
option at groups.io, do you happen to know whether it exists (perhaps
only with a paid-for subscription)?

http://davesergeant.com

Richard Russell

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 02:13 am, Dave Sergeant wrote:
Admin/settings/member notices/new notice - select 'goodbye message'

Thanks, I would never have found that!  In the jargon, it's 'not discoverable'.

Richard.

Paul Marshall

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 11:34 am, Richard Russell wrote:

Does this portend the death throes of BBC BASIC?

I certainly hope not! After nearly 40 years with BBC Basic, but many years away from it, I am finding myself returning.

I cant think why anyone would resign now just when things (ie SDL) are getting more exciting. Old age perhaps!

Richard Weir

Personally I have no intention to resign or change my settings, even though I am too exhausted from caring for my parents to attempt doing any coding. I like to be reminded that this *is* a part of my life, even though it is, for the foreseeable future, in abeyance.

As to why others resign instead of changing settings, well there can be any number of motivations. They may want to limit their digital footprint, that is, if they no longer use the service, they wish their details removed from the service. That reduces the chances that a future hacker can get their grubby paws on them!

An alternative motivation is that resigning is easier than changing settings. At the bottom of every email is a line saying "You are receiving this email because you are subscribed to the bb4w@groups.io group. You can unsubscribe here." I suspect people simply click on that, rather than thinking "maybe I can simply change my settings".

And the coincidence of people resigning when you (Richard) posts is probably just that - you are the person who starts most threads and you also respond to virtually all threads, so if a person thinks "I really don't have any interest in this any longer" as the result of receiving an email, then it will appear to be as the result of your post, because you appear in virtually all threads!

Keep up the good work Richard. We, that diminishing band of BB4xxx fans appreciate it greatly.

Richard Weir.

Karl Horn

Dear Richard
There may be resignations, but there are people, who are not 'resignated' at all! (Like me an Marianne).
I have worked with the BBC software since 14 years, we started a business, and we have over 1000 customors happy using our software, which we produce using BBC4W. If you want to take a look:
http://www.kybertron.ch/ and
http://www.kybertron.ch/video.html
The thing is: This business takes more and more time, and beside of burocratic activity and other duties there are lots of inquiries and emails to be answered. So the programming work is limited to small corrections and improvements. Also I cannot really take active part in the group, though I am mentally present!
There is not so much time left for new programming and new ideas. In fact I am stuck with version 5.94a, because something did not work anymore since the following update.
We were, are, and will be totally happy with BBC4W.
Thank you, Richard, for your perfect work!
Matthias

2017-04-27 20:34 GMT+02:00 Richard Russell <news@...>:

Richard.