Topics

Problem with SWAP on Android using BBCSDL

DaveinSpain

Hi Richard
I have been experimenting with RECTANGLE SWAP
Is it implemented? SWAP on it's own works and so does RECTANGLE FILL
Dave N

Richard Russell

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 01:04 PM, DaveinSpain wrote:
I have been experimenting with RECTANGLE SWAP
Is it implemented?
No.  It's not a 'standard' BBC BASIC feature anyway: it's something I added in BB4W (because I could) but it's not present in any other version, including Acorn versions and BBCSDL.  I've never seen it used in a program so I didn't think it would be missed.

Richard Russell

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 01:56 PM, Richard Russell wrote:
No.  It's not a 'standard' BBC BASIC feature anyway: it's something I added in BB4W (because I could) but it's not present in any other version, including Acorn versions and BBCSDL.  I've never seen it used in a program so I didn't think it would be missed.
I was expecting (or at least hoping for) some reaction to this, for example in respect of what your use case is (were you experimenting with RECTANGLE SWAP out of curiosity or because you have a specific application?) or whether anybody else considers the absence of this feature from BBCSDL to be of concern.  I'm willing to bet that 90% of BB4W users have never been aware that it existed!

There are several other features of BB4W which have never made it into BBCSDL, either because of the difficulty involved or because I haven't been able to motivate myself to do so.  When I canvassed opinion on whether to bump the version number to 1.00 I drew attention to the fact that BBCSDL is 'incomplete' but that didn't seem to be of great concern, at least not sufficiently so to warrant delaying that move.

But I am still interested to know if there are features that people think should be added.

I tried using RECTANGLE SWAP in a little program I was writing, and it worked nicely, but I then dropped it in favour of scrolling the screen - much easier to understand for the user.

And the thing I miss most about BBCSDL is not having any menu/dialog calls. That stops me dead.

Alan Roberts

--
Alan Roberts - Mugswell, Surrey
+44 (0)1737832586

Richard Russell

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:15 AM, alan836975 wrote:
And the thing I miss most about BBCSDL is not having any menu/dialog calls. That stops me dead.
What a strange thing to say.  Dialogue boxes are quite well supported in BBCSDL: there's a library ('dlglib.bbc') and an example program ('dlgdemo.bbc') which are supplied with all the desktop editions.  'SDLIDE.bbc', 'compiler,bbc', 'listvars.bbc' and 'profiler.bbc' all use dialogue boxes, or components thereof (e.g. list boxes) created using the supplied library.  The syntax is deliberately very similar to that used by the WINLIB2 library so porting existing code is usually straightforward (although there's no combobox, so you would need to fabricate it from a textbox and a listbox if you required one).

It's true that there is currently no library support for menus, but both 'SDLIDE.bbc' and 'BBCEdit.bbc' have drop-down menus so code can be borrowed from them or quite easily written from scratch (a menu is little more than a clickable text viewport).  If somebody would like to contribute a menu library, either written from scratch or containing code taken from, say, 'SDLIDE.bbc' I would be more than happy to consider including it (the latest release of BBCSDL contains a user-supplied TreeView control as you know).

Anyway, when asking about features 'missing' from BBCSDL I am of course talking about BBC BASIC language features.  No version of BBC BASIC has ever had built-in support for menus or dialogue boxes, or indeed any kind of GUI.  If that's what you are after, consider a language like Liberty BASIC (or LB Booster) which does.

DaveinSpain

I was experimenting with moving blocks around. I looked at the keywords list within 'touchide.bbc' and came across SWAP so I tried it - RECTANGLE SWAP - but got no response, not even an error message. I therefore thought that I was doing something wrong, it didn't occur to me that it doesn't exist! RECTANGLE FILL worked well for what I wanted.

Most programs are incomplete, look at Microsoft's Office! EXCEL is always being updated! BBCSDL - in my humble opinion - was good and ready to go to v1.00
Dave N