Topics

Moving Prog to a MAC

R.E.

Hi
 I wrote a small program in BBC Basic on windows a year or so ago, and
several friends have asked me if I can move it to their Mac computers.
  I've not done this in the past so I'm guessing that if I get a copy of BBC basic for Mac
then I can move my code to the Mac and have it compile a version for Mac computers.
 Is that right?  And can I still get a copy of BBC basic for the Mac?  If so--where?
Is this what I need to do?
Any help would sure be appreciated.  Thank you.
Stephen Hatch

Storer, Darren

Hi Stephen,

Depending on how which features of BB4W your program uses, you can usually port directly to BBC Basic SDL, for a number of platforms, including Mac; I'm using it on Mac OS (Catalina) with no problems.

You can find all the BBC Basic SDL downloads here:

http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcsdl/

...and amazingly, they are FREE!

However, I'm not aware of a compile option for Mac, I've only seen BBC Basic SDL produce .apk files for Android.

Hope this helps

Darren

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 07:50, R.E. <hatch@...> wrote:
Hi
 I wrote a small program in BBC Basic on windows a year or so ago, and
several friends have asked me if I can move it to their Mac computers.
  I've not done this in the past so I'm guessing that if I get a copy of BBC basic for Mac
then I can move my code to the Mac and have it compile a version for Mac computers.
 Is that right?  And can I still get a copy of BBC basic for the Mac?  If so--where?
Is this what I need to do?
Any help would sure be appreciated.  Thank you.
Stephen Hatch

Storer, Darren

Hi Stephen,

Oops! Trust me to open my big mouth without digging further...

In the Mac version of the BBC Basic SDL IDE, there is a toolbar with an icon that looks like two cogs; click this icon and you can "create an application bundle" in the form of a Mac .dmg file. This function should be perfect to "compile" your program for use on a Mac.

Apologies for the earlier misinformation

Darren

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 16:22, Storer, Darren <darren.storer@...> wrote:
[...]

Martin

I suggest that you first get the BBC SDL version for Windows, and try to move the code to that. Depending on how much Windows-specific code you have, that may be easy or not. But that will identify what changes you need to make from BBC4W to BBCSDL.

Then install BBC SDL for Mac - you will need access to a Mac! Move your SDL code over to the Mac, and try it. You may find things that do not work (due to Windows/Mac differences), and you may need some code to detect which machine you are on so code can be slightly different on the two machines (and so the code can still be common). Then you can 'compile' it to a dmg file (which can only be done on a Mac) and pass that file on to your friends who own Macs.

All perfectly possible, with a little time & effort. I am currently testing a 80k+ source program on Windows that will run on a Mac ... but it has been developed over several years! (and indeed started as a RISC OS program!).

Martin