Topics

Is there anybody there?

Richard Russell

I am very conscious that messages that I have posted here in the last few days are not receiving any replies.  I announced the release of BBCSDL v1.00c with a request for feedback: NOTHING.  I specifically asked David Nichols to test the new version and report back: NOTHING.  I responded to Leslie Baker about his window resizing problems: NOTHING.  Either I am being ignored or a technical fault is causing my messages not to be forwarded to members who receive them as emails (in which case I am talking to myself); I'm not sure which is preferable!!

8mbgmgs@...

Hi,

I'm replying to this message just to let you know that I can see it.
Sorry for not giving feedback. I don't think the feedback I could give would be useful anyway because it would essentially be "everything looks fine".

Regards, 
P

Howard

I always read everything Richard, but have not had anything to contribute of late.  Keep up the good work - we might be few in number and busy on other things, but still hugely appreciative.
Howard

michael

I can see your post Richard.  Your not being ignored. 

Regards, Michael

I read everything but my lack of knowledge precludes me from attempting to contribute.

I was overjoyed when the ability to program phones became available but my health has stopped me from experimenting very much.

I hope to be able to pick up soon but believe the majority of users are fully aware of the genius behind BB4W and allied programs. 

Please continue your amazing journey.

Regards,

Bob.

Sent: 12 February 2019 14:55
To: bb4w@groups.io
Subject: [bb4w] Is there anybody there?

I am very conscious that messages that I have posted here in the last few days are not receiving any replies.  I announced the release of BBCSDL v1.00c with a request for feedback: NOTHING.  I specifically asked David Nichols to test the new version and report back: NOTHING.  I responded to Leslie Baker about his window resizing problems: NOTHING.  Either I am being ignored or a technical fault is causing my messages not to be forwarded to members who receive them as emails (in which case I am talking to myself); I'm not sure which is preferable!!

Richard Russell

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 03:29 PM, michael wrote:
Hmm.  That doesn't explain why those members who were so keen to investigate, and to help me try to fix, the reported 'ellipses' fault last week ('Jon Welch', 'lettersquash', 'gav', 'Ken Orr', 'Lifes Voyager' and 'DaveinSpain') are apparently no longer interested this week.  Something's not right.

J.G.Harston

I'm getting all messages, and my replies are coming back to me.

--
J.G.Harston - jgh@... - mdfs.net/jgh

Robert Keller

Testing 

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019, 11:55 AM J.G.Harston <jgh@... wrote:

--
J.G.Harston - jgh@... - mdfs.net/jgh

Richard Russell

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 04:55 PM, J.G.Harston wrote:
Unless and until one of the aforementioned six members responds, the simplest explanation is that they are not receiving my messages.  If it was just one or two of them I could believe that they simply haven't checked their email inbox since Saturday (9th Feb), but all six?  I know that the membership of this group is probably not typical of the population as a whole (not least in age profile) but not checking emails for three days is something I can't even imagine!

lettersquash <j.r.freestone@...>

Richard, I find this thread intensely annoying. I remember this kind of issue coming up on previous forums, and I accept that people are all different, so I try to give you some leeway, but your attitude sometimes comes over as quite nagging and ungrateful, and you almost always come over as terse and unfriendly. I'm really sorry to have to say that.

People here are sometimes asking for help to fix something for their sake, but often they're giving information in order to help you, to fix bugs in your software. They do so in the midst of their busy lives, often, I assume (and this is true for me) as a way to give something back, because they appreciate your work so much. Normally, an author will thank people for these gifts (I am one, and I always do). Normally, the author recognises that this is a gesture and a boon to them. Normally, the author puts issues on their todo list, or they might ask nicely if the reporter would mind debugging a bit, if they've got time. You seem to take interest as a commitment to work on the team, issue homework, and then you seem to expect results. And you thank nobody.

Edited

I announced the release of BBCSDL v1.00c with a request for feedback: NOTHING.
And that's not even true. Count them.

EDITED TO ADD: My apologies. It has been pointed out to me that this is my mistake. I hadn't taken on board the v1.00c update, and thought this was about v1.00.

I did receive notification of v1.00c, with the requests for as many people as possible with Androids to test and respond. I had skimmed it, since I wasn't able to do any more on it, and had forgotten it when I posted this. I have lots of emails in my inbox about this, and no evidence that messages aren't getting to their intended recipients.

Robert Keller

I dont agree with that synopsis.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019, 1:45 PM lettersquash <j.r.freestone@... wrote:
Richard, I find this thread intensely annoying. I remember this kind of issue coming up on previous forums, and I accept that people are all different, so I try to give you some leeway, but your attitude sometimes comes over as quite nagging and ungrateful, and you almost always come over as terse and unfriendly. I'm really sorry to have to say that.

People here are sometimes asking for help to fix something for their sake, but often they're giving information in order to help you, to fix bugs in your software. They do so in the midst of their busy lives, often, I assume (and this is true for me) as a way to give something back, because they appreciate your work so much. Normally, an author will thank people for these gifts (I am one, and I always do). Normally, the author recognises that this is a gesture and a boon to them. Normally, the author puts issues on their todo list, or they might ask nicely if the reporter would mind debugging a bit, if they've got time. You seem to take interest as a commitment to work on the team, issue homework, and then you seem to expect results. And you thank nobody.

LifesVoyager

I'm getting your messages, Richard, but have been tied up with other matters lately.

ellipses, as supplied, works fine on 2 different android versions here. I haven't had time to explore further.

regards

I dont agree with that synopsis.
Use your words (better).

Richard Russell

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 06:45 PM, lettersquash wrote:
but your attitude sometimes comes over as quite nagging and ungrateful, and you almost always come over as terse and unfriendly.
Thank you, that is extremely helpful - not least that it is exactly why I resigned from the forum recently.  I have been thinking in the last few weeks that it was wrong of me to continue as a member of this group in those circumstances, and you have confirmed that view.  Accordingly this will be the last message that I post here.

Normally, the author puts issues on their todo list,
I confess that I don`t understand how I can put on my todo list fixing a problem that I cannot reproduce on any of my machines.  I did spend many hours over the weekend staring at the code of the ellipse library and running as many tests as I could think of.  And indeed I did find some bugs, which I have fixed in v1.00c, but none that could explain the failure reported by the OP and others.

You seem to take interest as a commitment to work on the team, issue homework, and then you seem to expect results
I was simply trying to ascertain whether my modifications in v1.00c have been helpful or not.  Last week there seemed to be a willingness by members to test new versions, and feedback to v1.00b was immediate; I admit I assumed there would be a similar reaction to the release of v1.00c.

But of course I have to acknowledge that my rapidly developing `cognitive decline` (early stage Alzheimer`s Disease, probably) has severely impaired my ability to write software that works reliably, and to fix bugs when they are found.  I have also been suffering from severe (and worsening) lower back pain for the last two weeks.  This is not intended as an excuse for my totally unacceptable behaviour, but it is a contributory factor.

I wish you and all other members of this group well.

Robert Keller

Richard, i for one will miss you. Your work to keep updated and bugs fixed was truly appreciated by many. I have never been verbal on the forum. I thank you for your hard work. To the critic who told Richard he is whiney and told me use my words i got two little words for you. .. nvm.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019, 3:05 PM Richard Russell <news@... wrote:
On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 06:45 PM, lettersquash wrote:
but your attitude sometimes comes over as quite nagging and ungrateful, and you almost always come over as terse and unfriendly.
Thank you, that is extremely helpful - not least that it is exactly why I resigned from the forum recently.  I have been thinking in the last few weeks that it was wrong of me to continue as a member of this group in those circumstances, and you have confirmed that view.  Accordingly this will be the last message that I post here.

Normally, the author puts issues on their todo list,
I confess that I don`t understand how I can put on my todo list fixing a problem that I cannot reproduce on any of my machines.  I did spend many hours over the weekend staring at the code of the ellipse library and running as many tests as I could think of.  And indeed I did find some bugs, which I have fixed in v1.00c, but none that could explain the failure reported by the OP and others.

You seem to take interest as a commitment to work on the team, issue homework, and then you seem to expect results
I was simply trying to ascertain whether my modifications in v1.00c have been helpful or not.  Last week there seemed to be a willingness by members to test new versions, and feedback to v1.00b was immediate; I admit I assumed there would be a similar reaction to the release of v1.00c.

But of course I have to acknowledge that my rapidly developing `cognitive decline` (early stage Alzheimer`s Disease, probably) has severely impaired my ability to write software that works reliably, and to fix bugs when they are found.  I have also been suffering from severe (and worsening) lower back pain for the last two weeks.  This is not intended as an excuse for my totally unacceptable behaviour, but it is a contributory factor.

I wish you and all other members of this group well.

Well, that is up to you, of course, but I would be sad and feel guilty about it, and I would not want you to do that on my account. It may only be me who feels this way, and I would much prefer to resign instead. Or it may be a very few who react this way, and you could always choose to ignore the problem. But if this keeps happening, is it not possible to learn from it and adjust your behaviour, rather than thinking it's "wrong of" you "to continue in those circumstances"? These are circumstances you have control over. Aren't they?

I'm sorry if I implied that you should just fix all the bugs when they're reported. I did not intend that, but I did not take into account sufficiently that you can't have access to the necessary machinery.

I'm also sorry about your health issues. I wonder if you'd be better just taking things a bit easier, rather than resigning altogether. Walking's great for lower back pain, and coding, probably not so much! It's good for the brain, too.

I feel very bad about what I said, especially as I appreciate your work and your help so much, but I think it is important to deal with that stuff, not just ignore our feelings, and that was how I felt. Having expressed it, I'm happy to leave it, never mention it again. Or go. I've not been here long anyway, and it is your forum.

All the best
¬~

gav

In my case it's due to illness in the family. I've only just been able to catch up on the discussions. I will try the updated version and report back when I can.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/02/2019 15:50 (GMT+00:00)
To: bb4w@groups.io
Subject: Re: [bb4w] Is there anybody there?

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 03:29 PM, michael wrote:
Hmm.  That doesn't explain why those members who were so keen to investigate, and to help me try to fix, the reported 'ellipses' fault last week ('Jon Welch', 'lettersquash', 'gav', 'Ken Orr', 'Lifes Voyager' and 'DaveinSpain') are apparently no longer interested this week.  Something's not right.

Richard Weir

I'm very sorry for my total silence of late. I am ill following the death of my father and the care he needed during his last months. I eagerly read everything posted on this group in the earnest hope I will be able to get back into coding. But for now, I am too tired.

Many thanks for all your efforts. Coding in BB4W was a joy while I had the leisure to do so!

Richard Weir.

8mbgmgs@...

Richard is an intense kind of person, but that's what we like about him. I greatly admire his spirit and respect him for his strong, straight-talking personality. He's the kind of guy who really puts his heart into things, and no doubt it's a big part of why BBC BASIC is so good.

I hope he will reconsider leaving the group, but at the same time I respect his choices. And considering the pain & health troubles he's dealing with, he really doesn't need any extra stress in his life, so maybe taking a break from being involved in the group would be a good chance for him to relax and rest.