Topics

Help

g3vmu

Hi!
my windows XP (I known it's old) has decided that  on return from Help ,BBC basic is a threat to my computer and shuts it down.Basic not the computer and sends a report to Microsoft.
How do I get it back to normal?
Thanks
Colin Davis

Daniel Bingamon

I've had similar problems with executables from some antivirus program called total360 that one user of my software was trying to use.  It kept shutting down apps that I had written.
It turned out that I had the "Debug" turned on and the compiler added a lot of debug stuff that apparently must have been used in some antivirus signature and kept shutting the app down.
I recompiled it without debug and the problem went away.  I know, I shouldn't have had debug on for a 'production' version, accidents happen.
Maybe something similar is happening, some library in BBC basic used by other software and got recognized as an signature for detection.  If so, it's clumsy on part of the antivirus maker.
Daniel Bingamon

On 1/21/2018 7:12 AM, g3vmu wrote:
Hi!
my windows XP (I known it's old) has decided that  on return from Help ,BBC basic is a threat to my computer and shuts it down.Basic not the computer and sends a report to Microsoft.
How do I get it back to normal?
Thanks
Colin Davis

Richard Russell

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 04:12 am, g3vmu wrote:
BBC basic is a threat to my computer and shuts it down.Basic not the computer and sends a report to Microsoft.
Are you sure you're interpreting that correctly?  'Shutting down BASIC and sending a report to Microsoft' sounds much more like the way Windows behaves in the event of an unrecoverable error, not something connected with a 'threat' such as might be determined by a virus scanner.  That is supported by it happening "on return from Help" which is not when an anti-virus program is likely to be activated.

Assuming that to be the case, I would approach it as a 'crash' not a 'threat' and not get sidetracked into thinking it might be due to an anti-virus program (there are not many that will even run on XP any more).  I assume you've tried reinstalling and upgrading BB4W to the latest version (6.11a); you should definitely do that anyway since it's still fully compatible with (and indeed built on) Windows XP.

If that doesn't cure it, and considering that it's happening on return from Help, it might implicate the HTML Help subsystem as being responsible.  What happens if you run that independently of BBC BASIC (you can do that by double-clicking on the 'bbcwin.chm' file in the BB4W installation folder)?  If running 'bbcwin.chm' itself causes a crash, either on exit or otherwise, then you know the issue is nothing specifically to do with BB4W.  To fix it you might have to reinstall Windows, or at least reinstall 'hh.exe' which is the main HTML Help executable.

If running 'bbcwin.chm' separately doesn't crash, you could use that as an alternative to activating Help from within BB4W.  It's not a cure, but considering that Windows XP is unsupported a workaround may be the best you can hope for.

Richard.