Topics

Extracting emails

as7200@...

I want to extract emails and place them them in access. This is a project for work where we use outlook.
Is this possible using BBC Basic for windows?

Richard Russell

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 02:35 pm, <as7200@...> wrote:
I want to extract emails and place them them in access. This is a project for work where we use outlook.
Is this possible using BBC Basic for windows?
I'm not familiar with how Outlook stores emails, but assuming the file format is documented (or you can discover it by experiment) it sounds straightforward enough.  Remember that one of the strengths of BBC BASIC is that it can handle any file format.  Access is definitely accessible (!) via ODBC so the new library should be suitable for that.

Richard.

as7200@...

Presumably you could access excel in the same way. I have just looked up what ODBC means. I need a driver and need to learn SQL.
This may take a while i think.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Check my message #21967  .     It may help you to make a few steps further.
Eddy

Richard Russell

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 03:15 pm, <as7200@...> wrote:
Presumably you could access excel in the same way
No, I don't think so.  Excel is not a database, and whilst it does support ODBC I think it does so only as a client, not as a server.  Your original message referred to Access (which is a database), not Excel, but if you need to control Excel there are instructions for doing so using COM Automation (DirectX) on the BB4W Wiki.

Richard.

Daniel Bingamon

There is an ODBC support library that produces Excel spreadsheets regardless whether Excel is installed or not.  I think uses parts of Windows internals to make it happen.
I have used it with Pelles C Compiler. This website: John Findlay - Database has an "OdbcExcel" example.  It has other ODBC items as well.  Maybe it help this effort at doing database access with Excel.
Hope this helps.

Daniel Bingamon

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 05:30 am, Daniel Bingamon wrote:
There is an ODBC support library that produces Excel spreadsheets regardless whether Excel is installed or not
Well, if Excel is not installed an 'Excel spreadsheet' is no more than a file in .xls, .xlsx or .csv format, which in the last case at least is trivial to create without anything complicated like ODBC or DirectX (and a .xlsx file is not too hard).  So perhaps all the OP needs to do is to extract the contents of the emails and store them in one or more .csv files which can subsequently be opened in Excel.  But I'm still not sure where Excel comes into this because the original message referred to Access.

Richard.