Topics

Displaying the contents of a text file

Ian_Wade_G3NRW

I know that *used* to be the case, but I thought I read somewhere that
from BB4W v6 they can be much longer (limited only by available memory).
But of course now I can't find where I think I read it.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

***** TS-590 Family Resources Page: http://g3nrw.net/TS-590

On 13/05/2017 11:01, J.G.Harston wrote:

In Windows BBC BASIC strings can be up to 64K in length (16-bit string
length). That's been in BBfW for quite a long time.

Richard Russell

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 03:16 am, Ian_Wade_G3NRW wrote:
I know that *used* to be the case

The message you *appear* to be replying to was not approved and was deleted by me (as its contents were completely false) so I wonder how you saw it.  I hope groups.io is not sending out unapproved messages by email!  I did not feel it was appropriate to reply to your query myself since it related to a feature of BB4W which is clearly documented in the Help file ("String variables: length limited only by available memory"); the format of a string descriptor (with a 32-bit length value) is also documented so there can be no doubt.

Richard Russell wrote:
The message you *appear* to be replying to was not approved and was deleted by me (as its
contents were completely false) so I wonder how you saw it. I hope groups.io is not sending
out unapproved messages by email!
A bit of experimentation reveals that in RoundCube Mail which I use, 'reply to sender' sends to the list and 'reply to list' sends to the list and the author! It certainly didn't used to do that. It used to be that 'reply to sender' (it may even have explicitly said 'author') sent to the author, and 'reply to list' sent to the list. I wouldn't be surprised if an update changed things recently - or even not so recently.

Checking some other lists I'm shows half do the same, and half both 'reply to sender' and 'reply to list' send solely to the list. I'll have to get my muscle memory to get used to selecting the other reply option.

But this is off topic for this thread, so I'll close here.

--
J.G.Harston - jgh@... - mdfs.net/jgh