Topics

Cross-platform MIDI library?

Richard Russell

User hitsware has been experimenting with MIDI output from BBCSDL - something that has no built-in support - but his efforts have been directed at a specific platform: the Raspberry Pi. It seems to me that what we ideally need is a MIDI library which provides a common interface that users' programs can call, and automatically converts the commands to the appropriate native MIDI API for the current platform (Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Raspberry Pi or Android).

I suspect this would not be very easy - from what I have found with a quick Google search the MIDI APIs for Mac OS and Android seem particularly tricky to use - but if it could be achieved it would add a whole new level of cross-platform functionality to BBC BASIC.

Do people think this is a good idea and, more importantly, does anybody feel they have the knowledge/interest to help contribute to such an endeavour? Perhaps the implementations for different platforms could be farmed out to different people.

Richard.

bb4w@...

Hello all
I would be certainly be keen to see that happen, although I am only just
getting into MIDI so I don't think I would be the best person to write it.

Regards
Ian K

User hitsware ( http://bbcbasic.conforums.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile&username=hitsware ) has been experimenting with MIDI output from BBCSDL - something that has no built-in support - but his efforts have been directed at a specific platform: the Raspberry Pi. It seems to me that what we ideally need is a MIDI library which provides a common interface that users' programs can call, and automatically converts the commands to the appropriate native MIDI API for the current platform (Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Raspberry Pi or Android).