Topics

Christmas Demo II

dwilliams1664 <dwilliams64@...>

Hi folks,

Here's a short multi-part demo:

http://www.bb4w-games.com/xmasdemo2.zip

Download size: 5.69 MB

Notes:

1. Don't bother trying to run it under Wine.
2. Best performance will probably be had with a fast WinXP-based system.
3. Runs great on my ancient laptop. Less great on the new Vista-based
laptop I recently tried it on. Vista is a bloated piece of ****.

Regards,

David.

http://www.bb4w-games.com

Richard Russell

--- In bb4w@..., "dwilliams1664" <dwilliams64@...> wrote:
Here's a short multi-part demo:

http://www.bb4w-games.com/xmasdemo2.zip
Why did you have to ruin what could have been a lovely party-piece and
a fine example of BB4W programming with all the political claptrap at
the end? I totally disassociate myself from it.

Richard.

--- In bb4w@..., "Richard Russell" <yahoo@...> wrote:

a fine example of BB4W programming
No it is not.

You haven't seen the source code.

with all the political claptrap at the end?
I felt like a bit of a whinge, and since it was my program, I had the
prerogative, no?

I totally disassociate myself from it.
Well, I'm sorry you didn't agree with the message, but, fine.

David.

dwilliams1664 <dwilliams64@...>

--- In bb4w@..., "Richard Russell" <yahoo@...> wrote:

all the political claptrap at the end?
Having received an e-mail from a fellow BB4W user (who liked the
demo), I've replaced the original version (i.e., the one with the
perspicacious commentary), with this 'de-politicized' version:

http://www.bb4w-games.com/xmasdemo2.zip

Now you can show it to all your friends. :-)

David.

Guy Schaffner <genista@...>

--- In bb4w@..., "dwilliams1664" <dwilliams64@...> wrote:

--- In bb4w@..., "Richard Russell" <yahoo@> wrote:

all the political claptrap at the end?
Having received an e-mail from a fellow BB4W user (who liked the
demo), I've replaced the original version (i.e., the one with the
perspicacious commentary), with this 'de-politicized' version:

http://www.bb4w-games.com/xmasdemo2.zip
Wonderful! You did a really good job, and most of all, lately, a
really good change. Christmas is now reborn.

Now you can show it to all your friends. :-)
True. Although it was not tendentious for friends--who, obviously,
undestand everything--but for others...

Thank you for a very nice animated Christmas card. I wish I were able
to do the same...

Happy Christmas,

Regards,

Guy.
(Genista)

Richard Russell

--- In bb4w@..., "dwilliams1664" <dwilliams64@...> wrote:
I've replaced the original version (i.e., the one with the
perspicacious commentary), with this 'de-politicized' version:

http://www.bb4w-games.com/xmasdemo2.zip
A big improvement, thank you. Can I suggest, if you haven't done so
already, you advertise it widely (e.g. on other groups) as a seasonal
bit of promotion for GFXLIB and for BBC BASIC for Windows.

Incidentally, for those in the EU, BB4W is now even better value
having been reduced to £29.35 because of the VAT change!!

Richard.

--- In bb4w@..., "dwilliams1664" <dwilliams64@...> wrote:

--- In bb4w@..., "Richard Russell" <yahoo@> wrote:

all the political claptrap at the end?
Having received an e-mail from a fellow BB4W user (who liked the
demo), I've replaced the original version (i.e., the one with the
perspicacious commentary), with this 'de-politicized' version:

http://www.bb4w-games.com/xmasdemo2.zip

Now you can show it to all your friends. :-)

David.
As I already download the original, does this mean that I am now a
proud owner of a limited edition "banned" version of xmasdemo2 ?

I shall keep it safe for future historic archive, when we can all
relive such controversy in the bb4w group.

Ian

dwilliams1664 <dwilliams64@...>

Guy, Richard, Freezer Geezer: Thanks for the comments.

Freezer Geezer: Not even I have the esteemed original!

Perhaps a 2009 Christmas Demo could be a collaborative effort
(involving, for some parts, Michael Hutton's Direct3D library)?

David.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it

-- Omar Khayyam

Michael Hutton <michael.hutton@...>

David,

I was a bit disappointed to miss the banned version, but I really
liked the 3D snowman!

I have been a bit slow with BB4W lately. Xmas is meant to be a summer
holiday over here but all I have been doing is working! I have
managed to score both Christmas day and New Years Eve on the roster,
a special treat for the POHM'S!

Michael

Gordon Sweet <gordon@...>

This nice Demo is now showing among my Daily News Pages at http://www.sigord.co.uk/News.htm , and will be included again among the repeats next Thursday. As these News Pages have now been running for over 3 years, a number of the visitors have come to trust me run any EXE files while online, that I upload.

If anyone else has similar ones they would like me to show they are welcome to send them to me. Unless anyone objects I usually retain copies of all contributions for showing again at some tome.

Gordon

Richard Russell

I've recreated this demo for BBCSDL, with David's permission.  It may be downloaded from here and runs on all the supported platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Raspberry Pi, Android).  There's also a YouTube video if you're too busy to download it and run it yourself!

Richard.

winstove

Brilliant! Thank you

Best regards