Topics

Can't create apksigner.jar

lettersquash <j.r.freestone@...>

Hi Richard,
I've hit a problem using bbc2apk.exe. I saw your recent post about compiling BBC files for Android, and thought I'd have a go. I downloaded bbc2apk.exe, but remembered that I didn't have Java installed, so went there and installed a version of the JRE (32-bit, because that's what it advised on my system, running Firefox 32-bit on a Windows x64 ...I've no idea why I haven't got Firefox 64-bit, but that's another story). After installing JRE, I tried bbc2apk, but get the message "Cannot create file C:\Program Files (x86)\BBCtoAPK\bin\apksigner.jar".

I tried deleting and re-downloading the utility in case Java had to recognise its security signing on downloading or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is it the wrong version of JRE, or do I need the Java development environment too, or something else? Java has a bunch of settings, including things to do with certificates, but I don't know enough about it to dare tweak them myself.
John

lettersquash <j.r.freestone@...>

P.S. One other thought - I haven't got BBCSDL on my Windows machine, just BB4W, in case that's the problem.

Richard Russell

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 12:59 PM, lettersquash wrote:
I tried bbc2apk, but get the message "Cannot create file C:\Program Files (x86)\BBCtoAPK\bin\apksigner.jar".
Since you've chosen to install it in a 'protected' location are you sure you have the required admin privileges?  The installation instructions say that you must use 'Run as administrator'; are you definitely doing that?  The message "Cannot create file" is very much pointing towards a security or privileges issue.

If you don't have sufficient privileges to write to C:\Program Files (x86), for example you prefer not to be logged in as an admin, you always have the choice of installing it in an 'unprotected' location such as C:\bbc2apk\

lettersquash <j.r.freestone@...>

Of course, that was an obvious error on my part. I thought my user account was an admin account, but I should have realised it wasn't when I had to go through hoops like downloading it to another location and moving it, with security prompts!
Thank you,
John

Richard Russell

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 02:54 PM, lettersquash wrote:
I thought my user account was an admin account
That is the default in Windows, and always has been (before the advent of UAC it was much more of a risk than it is now).  I know some people prefer not to operate that way, which does improve security, but can be inconvenient particularly during installation.  Like all 'compiled' BB4W programs, the requirement to have admin privileges only applies the very first time you run BBC2APK (as it states in the instructions), thereafter it can be run from an unprivileged user account like any other application.

lettersquash <j.r.freestone@...>

Yes, I think I had made my account an admin one on this laptop to avoid the interruptions, but either undid it (with warnings about this from forums, etc.) or maybe just forgot to do it again when I had a complete Windows failure (well, hard-drive failure, to be fair) and had to reinstall.

I have now used the bbc2apk utility successfully, producing perfectly fine results on my tablet with a simple test graphics program. Fantastic, another amazing utility so that I can make the most of my Android devices as well as my laptop! Thank you so much.
:)
John