Topics

[bbcsdl 2.0

Sorry to bother you again Richard, but can you suggest any way to print off a listing? I have spent all day so far on this program, and it would be nice to keep a hard copy. I don't see any print item on the menus?  The Help shows this as Linux version 1.10a  I am probably not up to date?

From: Richard Russell
Sent: 02 March 2020 14:20
To: bb4w@groups.io
Subject: Re: [bb4w] Reduced colour compatibility mode not working?

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 02:14 PM, Kendall Castor-Perry wrote:

Just tried that on my old Win 7 machine at home

It definitely worked fine on Windows 7, and a lot more recently too.  What's particularly strange is that here (Windows 10) it seems to do nothing at all.  :(

Richard Russell

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 05:24 PM, Leslie Baker wrote:
Sorry to bother you again Richard, but can you suggest any way to print off a listing?
Sadly, SDL 2.0 (for all its ambitions to be an 'OS' abstraction layer rather than just a games engine) has no support for hardcopy output at all.  It's a significant limitation, but I expect they would say there just isn't any demand for it from their main user-base, which is still games programming.  So although I included a Print item in the menu (and indeed there is still code to handle VDU 2 in the interpreter) it was more in hope than expectation, and it does nothing.

I'm not sure what the long-term solution to this is, if any.  I think we can assume that there never will be hardcopy support in SDL 2.0, and therefore that outputting to a printer of any sort won't be possible.  However, as you may well know, not so long ago Svein Svensson submitted his 'pdflib.bbc' library which provides support for writing PDF files.  So one possibility would be for the 'Print' menu selection to create a PDF file which you could then print using tools available to you in your native OS (I presume Linux must have such a capability).

This would be a relatively large project and it's not something that I dare put on my to-do list given my health problems.  Ideally I'd like somebody else to step forward to offer to do it - remember that both BBCSDL IDEs are themselves written entirely in BBC BASIC - but I have to be realistic and accept that on the many occasions when I've asked for help in the past it has virtually never been forthcoming.  :(

R NBW

A very quick, rough and ready method is to click on your document in BBC SDL, CTRL+A, CTRL+C.  Open Notepad and then CTRL+V. This will transfer your code into Notepad (unfortunately not in colour).  You can then print a hard copy from Notepad.

It’s a very quick work around.

Incidentally, if you look at a lot of editors these days, you will find they don’t include print on the menu.  I’m afraid that programmers these days are brought up working entirely on the computer.  Like you, I like a hard copy so I can scribble on it.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 06:21 PM, R NBW wrote:
A very quick, rough and ready method is to click on your document in BBC SDL, CTRL+A, CTRL+C.  Open Notepad and then CTRL+V
Isn't Notepad specific to Windows?  This thread is about Linux (or, at least, that's my assumption)!  But I suppose there may be an equivalent editor in Linux which would allow you to use the same technique (my experience of Linux is minimal and the only editors I've used don't seem to support pasting or printing).  Perhaps the OP could comment.

On 02/03/2020 18:21, R NBW wrote:

A very quick, rough and ready method is to click on your document in BBC SDL, CTRL+A, CTRL+C.  Open Notepad and then CTRL+V. This will transfer your code into Notepad (unfortunately not in colour).  You can then print a hard copy from Notepad.

It’s a very quick work around.

Incidentally, if you look at a lot of editors these days, you will find they don’t include print on the menu.  I’m afraid that programmers these days are brought up working entirely on the computer.  Like you, I like a hard copy so I can scribble on it.

 I just copied it into Libre Office, and it looks ok. I don't use colours in the code, I find it more confusing than helpful. I used to be an analyst programmer back in the days of Infobasic. Thanks again Richard.

R NBW

Woops, I missed that it was Linux,  but Libre Office will do just as well.