Topics

BBC for Linux full screen

Hi Richard and others,

I am still using SDL 2.0 on Linux Mint and I am trying to get the program to run in full screen. Any Ideas?

Leslie

Richard Russell

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:23 PM, Leslie Baker wrote:
I am still using SDL 2.0 on Linux Mint and I am trying to get the program to run in full screen. Any Ideas?
Do you mean 'genuine' full screen (with no borders or title bar or anything) or just 'maximized' (i.e. what you get if you click on the window's maximize button)?  If it's maximized that you want there's an SDL2 function for that:

      SYS "SDL_MaximizeWindow", @hwnd%, @memhdc%

If you want genuine full screen, for a video game or something, then 'compile' your program to an executable and run it with the -fullscreen command line switch.  Remember that, unlike BBC BASIC for Windows, BBCSDL makes it easy to scale your program's output to fit a larger canvas.

On 28/02/2020 22:56, Richard Russell wrote:
On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:23 PM, Leslie Baker wrote:
I am still using SDL 2.0 on Linux Mint and I am trying to get the program to run in full screen. Any Ideas?
Do you mean 'genuine' full screen (with no borders or title bar or anything) or just 'maximized' (i.e. what you get if you click on the window's maximize button)?  If it's maximized that you want there's an SDL2 function for that:

      SYS "SDL_MaximizeWindow", @hwnd%, @memhdc% If you want genuine full screen, for a video game or something, then 'compile' your program to an executable and run it with the -fullscreen command line switch.  Remember that, unlike BBC BASIC for Windows, BBCSDL makes it easy to scale your program's output to fit a larger canvas.

Thank you Richard,

I typed that line in a new program followed only by WAIT50:QUIT and all I get is no such variable.

Is there a particular library that may be missing?

On 28/02/2020 22:56, Richard Russell wrote:
On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:23 PM, Leslie Baker wrote:
I am still using SDL 2.0 on Linux Mint and I am trying to get the program to run in full screen. Any Ideas?
Do you mean 'genuine' full screen (with no borders or title bar or anything) or just 'maximized' (i.e. what you get if you click on the window's maximize button)?  If it's maximized that you want there's an SDL2 function for that:

      SYS "SDL_MaximizeWindow", @hwnd%, @memhdc% If you want genuine full screen, for a video game or something, then 'compile' your program to an executable and run it with the -fullscreen command line switch.  Remember that, unlike BBC BASIC for Windows, BBCSDL makes it easy to scale your program's output to fit a larger canvas.

Don't worry Richard, MODE22 is near enough full screen.

Leslie

Richard Russell

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 02:32 PM, Leslie Baker wrote:
I typed that line in a new program followed only by WAIT50:QUIT and all I get is no such variable.
I hope you didn't actually "type" it - have you never heard of copy-and-paste?  :)

Anyway the statement I listed is correct and does not result in No such variable.  It cannot, since the only variables in the statement are @hwnd% and @memhdc% which are both pre-defined system variables and always exist.  However WAIT50:QUIT reports the error Mistake because you have forgotten to add the necessary space after WAIT.

Richard Russell

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 03:03 PM, Leslie Baker wrote:
MODE22 is near enough full screen.
Maybe it is on your screen, but it may not be on somebody else's screen!  Anyway the Help documentation is clear on this point: "If you (exceptionally) want to use the entire screen you can either maximise the window or operate in full screen mode. You should not attempt to achieve the same effect by choosing a MODE larger than will fit":

  https://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcwin/manual/bbcwin3.html#modes