Topics

locked BBC BASIC SDL for Windows

Jerónimo Luis Dalla Via

Hello, how are you?

In one PC when I try to run BBC BASIC SDL for Windows I have this error message. I think it is because of an invalid character in the user name (Jerónimo) in Windows. Is there a way to redirect or solve the problem?

Couldn't open C:\Users\Jermo\AppData\Local\Temp\dlg98.tmp.bmp in module C:\bbcsdl20\lib\dlglib

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards.

Saludos,

Jerónimo

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

Richard Russell

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 03:56 PM, Jerónimo Luis Dalla Via wrote:
I think it is because of an invalid character in the user name (Jerónimo) in Windows.
I'm not convinced that is the reason, because the error message showed \users\Jermo\ not \users\Jerónimo\ (Windows 10 restricts user names to five letters, so for example mine is \users\richa\ not \users\richard\).  My initial suggestion would be to clear out your %TEMP% directory (which is where the error is originating); make sure there are no dlg??.tmp.bmp files there.

Jerónimo Luis Dalla Via

Hi Richard, thank you very much.

I did but it did not solve the problem.

What else can I do?

Saludos,

Jerónimo

De: bb4w@groups.io [mailto:bb4w@groups.io] En nombre de Richard Russell
Enviado el: martes, 31 de marzo de 2020 13:41
Para: bb4w@groups.io
Asunto: Re: [bb4w] BBC BASIC SDL for Windows

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 03:56 PM, Jerónimo Luis Dalla Via wrote:

I think it is because of an invalid character in the user name (Jerónimo) in Windows.

I'm not convinced that is the reason, because the error message showed \users\Jermo\ not \users\Jerónimo\ (Windows 10 restricts user names to five letters, so for example mine is \users\richa\ not \users\richard\).  My initial suggestion would be to clear out your %TEMP% directory (which is where the error is originating); make sure there are no dlg??.tmp.bmp files there.

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

Richard Russell

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 06:09 PM, Jerónimo Luis Dalla Via wrote:
What else can I do?
Please take this to private email, the discussion group is not the right place for it.

Richard Russell

I haven't had final confirmation of this from the OP, but it seems that his problem was caused by the Windows %TMP% and %TEMP% environment variables (which in all normal circumstances should be the same) being different.  I don't know how this situation arose in the first place, but it appears that %TEMP% pointed to the directory C:\Users\Jerónimo\.... (which existed) whereas %TMP% pointed to the directory C:\Users\Jermo\... (which didn't).  It so happens that BBC BASIC's @tmp$ system variable is derived from %TMP%, hence a directory which is supposed to be writable in all normal circumstances didn't even exist!

Generally, new installations of Windows 10 insist on your username being five characters or less, which may explain the C:\Users\Jermo\.  But why that directory didn't exist at all is a mystery.