BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 version 1.19a released

Hated Moron

I've released version 1.19a of BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 - the cross-platform programming language for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Raspbian, Android, iOS and in-browser. The changes in this version are as follows:

1. BASIC Interpreter / Run Time Engine

Extended the *DUMP command to accept optional hexadecimal start and end offsets (or length), using the same syntax as *LOAD and *SAVE.

2. IDEs and Utilities

Added a version check on startup (desktop editions only).

Added the Macro recorder utility to customize the function (and tab) keys in SDLIDE, similar to the BB4W IDE.

Fixed a couple of minor bugs in SDLIDE.bbc.

3. Libraries

Added menulib.bbc to support menu bars and drop-down menus (based on the SDLIDE menus).

Added editbox.bbc which extends the dialogue-box support to include a multi-line edit control.

Extended dlglib.bbc to include PROC_getdlgitemrect() and to distinguish between left and right mouse clicks.

Extended filedlg.bbc to include FN_filedlgex() which supports dark mode and positioning of the file selector.

4. Example Programs

Added gorillas.bbc in examples/games, a conversion of one of David Williams's BB4W programs (requires SDL 2.0.6 or later).

Added textedit.bbc in examples/general (desktop editions only) to demonstrate the use of menus and the multi-line edit control.
This version may be downloaded, for all the supported platforms, from the usual location. The GitHub repository has been updated (used to build the MacOS, Raspbian, Android, iOS, 64-bit Linux and in-browser editions, currently).

Important! iOS users: the certificate for your current version of BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 expires soon. You should install version 1.19a in order to ensure continued operation. The new certificate will expire on 19th January 2022.

Hated Moron

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 02:30 PM, Richard Russell wrote:
Added menulib.bbc to support menu bars and drop-down menus (based on the SDLIDE menus).
Added editbox.bbc which extends the dialogue-box support to include a multi-line edit control.
The addition of these two libraries brings BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 up to a similar specification to BBC BASIC for Windows (apart from the lack of support for hardcopy output, of course).  Now, pretty much anything you can do with BB4W you can also do with BBCSDL.  The impact on me will be that my use of BB4W will fall from 'low', which it has been for a few years, to close to 'zero'!

Having said that, it is of course true that features of BB4W which are provided by the Windows API (including dialogue boxes, menus etc.) are generally not emulated with as wide a selection of options in BBCSDL.  So if you find yourself needing a facility that BB4W had but BBCSDL doesn't, please post here and I will see how practical it would be to support it (or, even better, attempt the modification yourself: the libraries are plain BASIC code).